Converted motorist

ahhh now I understand, sorry, didn't realise that cyclists have right of way at all junctions, sorry, missed that bit in the highway code

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

You really should go out on a Bike, then perhaps you would appreciate why many cyclists choose to go through red lights or on pavements. Often it's to avoid some of the many idiots in cars who should spend more time concentrating on the road and less time bleating on about cyclists!!

You really should go out on a Bike, then perhaps you would appreciate why many cyclists choose to go through red lights or on pavements. Often it's to avoid some of the many idiots in cars who should spend more time concentrating on the road and less time bleating on about cyclists!!

I don't think we should do this though, it gives ammunition to fuel the prejudice of bad drivers and they then use it to justify endangering other cyclists. Be in the position of moral authority and do things correctly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawny1970

ahhh now I understand, sorry, didn't realise that cyclists have right of way at all junctions, sorry, missed that bit in the highway code

If a cyclist is a ahead of a large vehicle approaching a junction they certainly do have right of way over that large vehicle! Should you be driving on the roads?

I said ALL junctions, not coming uo to a junction, so please read what I posted before you yave a go because you misunderstood

I said ALL junctions, not coming uo to a junction, so please read what I posted before you yave a go because you misunderstood

OK so even though you replied to my post, it wasn't addressing the point in the post, namely drivers of large vehicles should not to try to over take cyclists when they are approaching a junction.

So you were straw manning for all you were worth then? Since nobody had claimed that cyclists always had the right of way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawny1970

So you were straw manning for all you were worth then? Since nobody had claimed that cyclists always had the right of way.

you say that no one should overtake a cyclist near a junction, that makes no sense at all!!!

you say that no one should overtake a cyclist near a junction, that makes no sense at all!!!

No, I didn't say it, and that wasn't what was said.

"drivers of large vehicles not to try to over take cyclists when you are approaching a junction. "

Approaching, not 'near'.

You do drive, right? Is there a specific make and model of car we should avoid, as I don't want you to run me down.

---------- Post added 04-12-2013 at 16:26 ----------

As the only active driver/cyclist thread, I'd just to like to point out that I've stood and watched this set of traffic lights for 10 minutes today (having a cup of tea). And there is one driver in every 3rd cycle of the lights that ignores the red light. Not just chances the amber, that happens in practically every cycle, but just completely ignores the red, for a good 5 seconds, and continues at 20 mph.

http://goo.gl/maps/o0a6p

I know what you mean Cyclone.

I regularly cross a certain bit of dual carriage way with a 40 mph limit at a set of cycle/ped lights. The only time there is a vague chance of the traffic doing anything like 40mph or less is when there's a camera van there. Anyway, a good 40% of the time the cars blast though the red light.

You're quite wrong, but thanks for the contribution.

In independent research by TRL, after these lenses were handed out for free at ports of entry to LHD HGVs, the number of sideswipe accidents involving continental HGVs plunged by half.

TfL made them mandatory for all RHD delivery HGVs contracted to London 2012.

Splutter all you like, those are the facts.

who did the indepent research and how was it done?

Archived