Social supermarket

Did anyone else see the news article tonight about that new venture of a shop selling goods that the bigger supermarkets would of ssent to landdfill. The idea seems to be that people feel ashamed of using food banks and so to build up their sself confidence instead they can now buy goods with as much as a 70% saving. The shop is only going to be used by certain people who will have to have a membership card, I can see problems with that being abused already and if it works they plan to open another twenty shops across the UK. I don't know whether this will be a success or not but do wonder why a larger supermarket would of been donating packs of Andrex toilet tissue I think it was a nine pack. After all does that have a use by date, why on earth would something like that be of no use.

Polite grammar note: Would HAVE not would of.

Have you got a link to this?

Obviously it must be better if goods earmarked for landfill can be sent instead to shops like these to be sold bwhich is a good idea. However I must admit to being curious to know how the membership card is going to work as unless it is monitored closely people will possibly pass it on to friends and family whilst others may buy stuff to order for others. Also there are a lot of people who may consider they should be eligible for a card but don't get one which could cause some ill feeling. I'd also like to bet that the membership card was brought out as if these shops were open to anyone then the supermarkets might start noticing a drop off in customers as we'd all go to shop where the goods are cheaper.

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 16:16 ----------

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update/2013-12-02/sneak-preview-of-britains-first-social-supermarket/

Here's the link to the news story

I may be a minority here but I am completely suspicious about the whole operation and wonder what scam they are trying to pull on the public and/or government with this. They say the goods are things destined for Landfill but if the supermarkets cant sell it - how exactly can they?

How are they selling things sooo cheap. Who is really subsidising this. Who the hell decides who is on a low income. A benefits claimant who has everything paid for by the state MAY have more disposable income than someone grafting in a low level job paying their own way and running a house.

Also how cheap is this food really. They claim to be up to 70% of prices but the major supermarkets all have budget ranges. I have seen items in Asda for pennies.

Tea bags for 27p, batter and cake mixes for 15p, tinned food for around 50p, frozen meat products for less than a pound, rice and pulses for 20p....

Add on the poundlands, Aldi, Lidl and the market - How much more are these supposed "social supermarkets" going to be undercutting. Can you really run a business selling 15p goods with 70% off??

I really dont understand it. All this segregation of society with special shops/special services aka poor people's clubs sits uneasy with me

Very interesting. Like the fact that they offer to deliver to your door too.

Its clearly good for some savings particuarly those who want to bulk buy. However, it still really does not seem much different to what you see reguarly in your 99p stores/Job Lot/Foulton Foods or even in the yellow sticker shelves of every supermarket.

No exclusivity/membership etc required for any of them. It still does not seem there to be any desprate need for this kind of "social supermarket"

The nature of capitalism means this just couldn't work, unless it was a charity...it just wouldn't work. Simple as that.

Just forking off here a little but with the food bank thing, a lot of it is just bad budgeting. I've seen obese women lighting up cigarettes on the news saying that they just can't afford food.

Give me a break.

It's like when you see a homeless smoking begging for money you just want to throw a trolley at him.

I may be a minority here but I am completely suspicious about the whole operation and wonder what scam they are trying to pull on the public and/or government with this. They say the goods are things destined for Landfill but if the supermarkets cant sell it - how exactly can they?

How are they selling things sooo cheap. Who is really subsidising this. Who the hell decides who is on a low income. A benefits claimant who has everything paid for by the state MAY have more disposable income than someone grafting in a low level job paying their own way and running a house.

Also how cheap is this food really. They claim to be up to 70% of prices but the major supermarkets all have budget ranges. I have seen items in Asda for pennies.

Tea bags for 27p, batter and cake mixes for 15p, tinned food for around 50p, frozen meat products for less than a pound, rice and pulses for 20p....

Add on the poundlands, Aldi, Lidl and the market - How much more are these supposed "social supermarkets" going to be undercutting. Can you really run a business selling 15p goods with 70% off??

I really dont understand it. All this segregation of society with special shops/special services aka poor people's clubs sits uneasy with me

Cheap products at Asda are loss leaders ie few and far between, you go in to buy them, then fill your trolley with other full priced stuff.

The social supermarkets, I presume, do everything cheap, because it would otherwise be thrown away. They probably get it free with charity status, (supermarkets often give this food to places like the Salvation Army to distribute to the homeless etc) People also 'Freecycle' outside supermarkets, raiding bins for perfectly good food which has been thrown away because it has broken packaging or passed it's sell buy date.

I think you do make some interesting points however, particularly the segregation of society, and who decides who is poor.

I assume the social supermarkets work like food banks; the people who go to them are not necessarily on benefits, but in dire distress / need, and they have to be referred to the foodbank/supermarket by authorised people like doctors or social services. They are usually only for emergency cover for a couple of weeks, not longterm.

One of the biggest questions, however, has to be why perfectly good food is being sent to landfill in the first place. And what's gone wrong when foodbanks /social supermarkets are required to stop people starving in a relatively rich, civilized country.

The poor can buy food here for a fraction of the price, especially as food prices are going to increase by 6% next year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/introducing-the-social-supermarket-where-even-britains-poorest-people-can-afford-the-finest-food-8993723.html

Wouldn't the system rather fall apart if those eligible to buy there started to buy supplies for their friends and family.

Archived