England trails in Maths & English International league table.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24433320

So much for all those inflated A* grades, we are 22nd & 24th in the international league of exams tables, in English & Maths.

What do we have to do to achieve better exam results for the country as a whole?

Well, if you saw the piece about South Korea's education system on the evening news last night, where kids work a 13 hour day from a very young age (full school day followed by cramming college in the evening) and then look at where they are in the league table, there's the answer: put back all the stuff that's been taken out of the curriculum for the last 20 years because it was too difficult and then get the kids to do it. The Korean kids answered our GCSE paper in double quick time and almost all got full marks.

Now I'm not advocating that kids should work a 13 hour day here; but when you watch programmes like Educating Yorkshire you could hardly claim that they were working particularly hard for the time they were there.

Teachers should be left alone to get on with the job.

Constant government interferance just clogs things up and means more time is spent trying to accommodate new diktats than doing the job.

I agree, but obviously there needs to be some governmental 'interference' what would you say is an appropriate level of diktat? What should be laid out as a job discription/target for teachers?

Do parents actually spend any time with their kids, educating them etc. When I was a boy, my mother used to spend hours helping me with my reading. I benefitted from this experience and so did many of my peers.

I know schools shoulder the blame, often than not, but shouldn't we be looking closer to home as well?

Makes you wonder if our national decline in numeracy has helped the meteoric rise in payday lenders????

I suspect that's more to do with changing attitudes to credit and the development of a 'have now, pay later' culture.

I agree, but obviously there needs to be some governmental 'interference' what would you say is an appropriate level of diktat?
Don't abuse the kids. Anything else to get them disciplined, respectful and learning is fair game.

The best education I ever received was by Jesuits. School felt like internment at a Stalag, there was nowt else to do whilst there but study and learn.

Any detention was spent stood in a corner staring at a blank white wall = however rebellious you may have been or felt, you soon lost the will to try it on and just got doing as you were told, as at least it was less mind-numbing and you got to crave the relative 'comfort' of being sat down (...try 3 hours's worth of detention ;))

In the end, every last student just got on learning. Even the dumb ones. Result = near 100% pass rate for any class, throughout the years, at O-level/A-level exams (in France, there wasn't, and still isn't AFAIK, any selecting of who sits which subject for getting what grade, everybody in a class of age sits the same national exam and get whatever grade they get).

It wasn't pink and fluffly methodology, it wasn't PC nor namby-pambyist (parents complain against regimen? = expelled and don't come back). In fact, in this day and age, I'd half-expect the meedja would make an absolute meal of these teachers and their methods. But it worked, period.

Discipline and respect are the master words here, not tuition as such. To learn, you have to either want to learn, or be coerced into learning, but any short of that and you just won't be learning (as much as you could/should).

The Asian countries do better than the Western countries because they live in disciplined societies.

The teachers are highly educated and highly disciplined.

They also respect education and see it as a way out of poverty.

Can you imagine those teachers putting up with bad behaviour?

Archived