England trails in Maths & English International league table.

Bring back Grammar schools - let the good from poorer backgrounds excel, rather than JUST those who can afford a decent education in the private sector.

What do you propose for the about the 75% who wouldn't go to grammar schools? You do realise they take part in these tests as well.

What purpose does it serve to lump all kids together in mixed ability classes? Who does it help?

No-one.......the present comparison test proves that.... I really don't see a problem with letting kids with ability,no matter what their background,reach their full potential...

What purpose does it serve to lump all kids together in mixed ability classes? Who does it help?

I'm not a fan of mixed ability classes. I think streaming provides the benefits of teaching those of different capabilities without the disadvantages of splitting into separate schools - it's a lot easier to move pupils to appropriate classes within schools than to different schools, particularly if you have league tables which would make schools reluctant/keen to move their best/poorest performing pupils.

Archived