Help DVLA trouble

you would be very foolish to ignore it and its even more foolish to give out stupid advice.

hence my underlining of personally, I thought It was quite clear what I would do and what I would advise others to do.

as you said posted, job done. but people do get worried around the dvla because they are such a bunch of C**T* efficient money makers, see post above for example.

Although the new keeper should after a reasonable time enquire why they havnt recieved the v5 but the 2 are not linked just because in this case they know each other.

So why didn't they? They were in the advantageous position that they knew each other and could find out if things had gone wrong - something that wouldn't happen if you sold the car to a stranger.

If I sell a car I'd contact the DVLA if I'd not had the notification within a month.

If I bought a car I'd contact the DVLA if I didn't get the log book within a month.

All the OP's daughter had to do was to say to her dad "Hey dad, I've not had the log book yet", and he could have thought "hmmm, I've had no ownership transfer notification either" and they could have avoided this whole mess.

So why didn't they? They were in the advantageous position that they knew each other and could find out if things had gone wrong - something that wouldn't happen if you sold the car to a stranger.

If I sell a car I'd contact the DVLA if I'd not had the notification within a month.

If I bought a car I'd contact the DVLA if I didn't get the log book within a month.

All the OP's daughter had to do was to say to her dad "Hey dad, I've not had the log book yet", and he could have thought "hmmm, I've had no ownership transfer notification either" and they could have avoided this whole mess.

it's probably the first car she's owned, she was given it by her Dad, she probably doesn't know what a log book is.

it's probably the first car she's owned, she was given it by her Dad, she probably doesn't know what a log book is.

But her dad(?) should have known what the process was........ as neither piece of documentation arrived then it should have been fairly obvious there was an issue somewhere...

Easy to say, easy to forget. Especially when it's a case of someone just giving their daughter their car.

jb

But the thread isnt about you its about giving acurate advice so that the op is correctly informed and able to defend themselfs against DVLA.

---------- Post added 04-12-2013 at 11:41 ----------

To me the legal rights and wrongs don't come into it...If I haven't recieved things that I know I should get then I enquire and raise it as a possible problem.. no matter where the fault lies it can save a lot of hassle as this thread proves..

Who cares what you THINK?

there isnt any hassle,DVLA just need informing the V5 was sent to them.No big deal.

About 6 months ago, I passed my old car on to my daughter. I filled in the log book and sent it off to the DVLA. Because I wasn't near a PO I foolishly didn't use recorded delivery. As far as I was aware that was the end of my interest in the vehicle

About two months ago I was issued with a fixed penalty For the vehicle not being insured. I took a Photostat of my daughters insurance cert and posted it back to the DVLA.

I have just received a letter from them, confirming that I am being fined for not ensuring that the car was insured.

At no time as the car not covered, including Car tax , MOT and insurance.

How can this fine stand?

Help me please

I wasn't aware the DVLA was in a position to fine people for not having insurance, you should have had the opportunity for a day in court where your position could be explained.

But the thread isnt about you its about giving acurate advice so that the op is correctly informed and able to defend themselfs against DVLA.

Its also useful just in case someone else is in the same position or will be in the future.

Seems to me you are just bitching for the sake of it because we dare to use hindsight. We're not the ones being threatened by the DVLA because we couldn't be bothered to check if Royal Mail had done their job.

If you don't like us posting, tough, its not your thread. :)

Archived