Help DVLA trouble

I wasn't aware the DVLA was in a position to fine people for not having insurance, you should have had the opportunity for a day in court where your position could be explained.

It's a criminal offence to not have insurance on a vehicle which is on the road.

Its also useful just in case someone else is in the same position or will be in the future.

Seems to me you are just bitching for the sake of it because we dare to use hindsight. We're not the ones being threatened by the DVLA because we couldn't be bothered to check if Royal Mail had done their job.

If you don't like us posting, tough, its not your thread. :)

Im pretty sure the op doesnt give a monkeys about your thoughts or hindsights,they are looking for accurate advice in how to deal with the situation they have innocently found themselfs in.

If you want to rant about what you THINK or dont think people should do outside their obligations then why not open another thread to do it instead of rants on someone elses?

About 6 months ago, I passed my old car on to my daughter. I filled in the log book and sent it off to the DVLA. Because I wasn't near a PO I foolishly didn't use recorded delivery. As far as I was aware that was the end of my interest in the vehicle

Not so I'm afraid.

The V5 explicitly states "DVLA will issue an acknowledgement letter after 4 weeks to confirm you are no longer the registered keeper. If the acknowledgement letter is not received please contact the DVLA"

I feel your plight, but ultimately it's your responsibility to ensure the ownership of the vehicle has been transferred.

That said, if you have proof of continuous insurance on the vehicle it's probably worth trying to appeal the judgement. Worth a punt.

Not so I'm afraid.

The V5 explicitly states "DVLA will issue an acknowledgement letter after 4 weeks to confirm you are no longer the registered keeper. If the acknowledgement letter is not received please contact the DVLA"

I feel your plight, but ultimately it's your responsibility to ensure the ownership of the vehicle has been transferred.

That said, if you have proof of continuous insurance on the vehicle it's probably worth trying to appeal the judgement. Worth a punt.

Rubbish of course!

The ONLY resposibility is to post off the V5 not chase DVLA to see if they managed to lose it.It might ADVISE you chase it up but you have no obligation to in law and thats what matters here.

Rubbish of course!

Of course ;)

The ONLY resposibility is to post off the V5 not chase DVLA to see if they managed to lose it.

Even if you can prove you posted "something" to the DVLA via recorded delivery, there's no proof of what that was.

It's not unreasonable to expect the owner to check/confirm the transfer has happened.

It might ADVISE you chase it up but you have no obligation to in law and thats what matters here.

In law, you're still the owner of the vehicle until you've had confirmation from the DVLA that you are not. That is clearly the owners responsibility & that's *really* what matters here!

I'd suspect that you don't either as we have not had "Log Books" for years.

No need to be pedantic, everyone calls them log books, nobody says "V5C registration document". Just like we still say "tax disc" not "vehicle excise duty disc".

Or the phrase "taking the car for an MOT" - break that down and you're saying "I'm taking my car for an Ministry of Testing" - makes no sense. :)

But feel free to let the DVLA know as they also refer to it as a log book:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration-certificate-v5c-log-book

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 09:55 ----------

Have a word with the BBC while you're at it:

Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631

No need to be pedantic, everyone calls them log books, nobody says "V5C registration document". Just like we still say "tax disc" not "vehicle excise duty disc".

Yes I agree totally.

The issue is that there is no document that says "Log Book" and the description infers some kind of book with records in it.

This confuses many younger drivers, often causing distress, when they think they have lost some kind of book.

Tax Disk is a great description, because it describes exactly what it is.

Of course ;)

Even if you can prove you posted "something" to the DVLA via recorded delivery, there's no proof of what that was.

It's not unreasonable to expect the owner to check/confirm the transfer has happened.

In law, you're still the owner of the vehicle until you've had confirmation from the DVLA that you are not. That is clearly the owners responsibility & that's *really* what matters here!

why do you THINK you have to prove anything? It doesnt matter what YOU THINK is reasonable,its what is law that matters and the LAW says post your V5 back to DVLA and you have done all you need to.

why is that confusing to some?

Archived