Help DVLA trouble

why do you THINK you have to prove anything?

The owner is the one getting the fine/penalty. You will have to prove you're not (or shouldn't be) the owner if you don't want to pay that fine!

It doesnt matter what YOU THINK is reasonable,its what is law that matters and the LAW says post your V5 back to DVLA and you have done all you need to.

Unless you get a fine, of course. ;)

Why do you assume that "posting" doesn't automatically imply that the document should actually arrive at it's destination?

why is that confusing to some?

Says the poster who fails to see that *ultimately* the owner is the one getting the fine/penalty.

Is your advice to the OP to simply ignore the fine and say "I did all I needed to"?

[edit]

After a small search I found:-

http://www.betterregulation.gov.uk/ideas/viewidea.cfm?proposalid=71b5dea64c804873988649f20030fdf2

Conveniently, a very similar issue. The DVLA states:-

"Under the Continuous Registration rules, introduced in January 2004, registered keepers remain legally responsible for licensing vehicles until DVLA has been notified that it is being kept off the public road, or that it has been sold, transferred, scrapped or exported. Failure to comply with these requirements is an offence that renders the registered keeper liable to enforcement action.

Page 3 of the INS 160 also explains that “The registered keeper remains liable for the vehicle until DVLA is notified of its sale, transfer, scrapping or export. By law you must inform DVLA in writing immediately about any change to your name and address. When you do, DVLA will issue a new certificate within 6 weeks. If you do not tell us, you may have to pay a fine of up to £1000. If you deliberately give false information, you may have to pay a fine of up to £5000 and go to prison for up to 2 years”.

Inevitably, there will be occasions where mail is not received at the Agency but this is a problem that is beyond our control. If a notification of disposal fails to reach DVLA and the vehicle subsequently becomes unlicensed, enforcement action will be taken against the registered keeper.

It is the responsibility of the keeper to contact DVLA if an acknowledgement has not been received. If individuals do not receive an acknowledgement letter within four weeks of discharging their liability, they must contact DVLA immediately on 0870 240 0010. DVLA is under no statutory obligation to issue acknowledgement letters; however, their issue has obvious benefits for both the Agency and our customers."

So, in fact, it is the owners responsibility to ensure any documentation arrives at the DVLA *and* is processed accordingly.

Or the phrase "taking the car for an MOT" - break that down and you're saying "I'm taking my car for an Ministry of Testing" - makes no sense. :)

Your right it doesn't make sense cause I think you will find MOT stands for "Ministry of transport" that's how it got its original name, but as you will know the MOT scheme is now run by the government agency VOSA "Vehicle and operator services agency ;)

Would sound weird taking your vehicle for a VOSA :hihi:

Your right it doesn't make sense cause I think you will find MOT stands for "Ministry of transport" that's how it got its original name, but as you will know the MOT scheme is now run by the government agency VOSA "Vehicle and operator services agency ;)

Would sound weird taking your vehicle for a VOSA :hihi:

At least it would get rid of all those dubious blue signs in almost all MOT stations which display

MOT'S

The Ludicrous apostrophe drives me to distraction.

the sign should either say MOTs

or MOT'sT

for "Ministry of Transport's Test"

But if they are going that way it would be far better to have

MOTT

for "Ministry of Transport Test"

At least it would get rid of all those dubious blue signs in almost all MOT stations which display

MOT'S

The Ludicrous apostrophe drives me to distraction.

the sign should either say MOTs

or MOT'sT

for "Ministry of Transport's Test"

But if they are going that way it would be far better to have

MOTT

for "Ministry of Transport Test"

:hihi:

That might annoy you, but I bet not half as much as you've just annoyed some people on here by pointing it out to them! ;)

I bought a new car via a broker. It was taxed on the day it was delivered.

I still hadn't received a "log book" after 4 weeks so went on the DVLA website which said to get in touch after 6 weeks, not before.

This is what I did, to be told that the L/b had been sent out in my name but not to the address I had just told them.

When I asked where it had been sent they couldn't tell me as it would breach the Data Protection Act.:loopy:

I had been worried that I was driving a car that I'd insured in my name at my address which wan't mine!!! Which I believe is an offence.

Eventually when I contacted the broker, who said they would help, I got the L/b 4 weeks later.

I bought a new car via a broker. It was taxed on the day it was delivered.

I still hadn't received a "log book" after 4 weeks so went on the DVLA website which said to get i touch after 6 weeks, not before.

This is what I did, to be told that the L/b had been sent out in my name but not to the address I had just told them.

When I asked where it had been sent they couldn't tell me as it would breach the Data Protection Act.:loopy:

I had been worried that I was driving a car that I'd insured in my name at my address which wan't mine!!! Which I believe is an offence11

Eventually when I contacted the broker, who said they would help, I got the L/b 4 weeks later.

You should have asked them exactly which part of the DPA they would be breaching.

jb

Archived