Fave sweets and grub

tiffy

Back in the 50's I remember 'Old Wadgy' the headmaster of the Central Technical School standing before the morning assembly and denouncing the eating of "Sweetmeats" on the school premises.

Happy Days!!

Mrs Taylor one our neighbours baked large oven bottom cakes to feed her lads.

Those lads never had so many pals as soon as the cakes were stood edgeways up to cool on the window cill.

All the kids knew she would test them out by cutting one up into strips and handing everybody a piece.

Sometimes it would be 'Marge and homemade jam but the best is when she coated the piecs with a generous coating of pork dripping.

The fresh cakes were always warm and the dripping melted into the holes in the cakes.

If God made anything better then he kept it for himself.

Happy Days!!

Originally posted by Timbuck

Can anyone remember "The Joystick" a frozen triagular lolly in a waxed paper tube....

Weren't they also called Jubblies?

Nothing to do with Del Boy and his Lubbly Jubbly, but orange juice in a triangular-shaped carton.

The sweet shops would freeze them and they lasted for hours as we sucked them through one corner of the triangle

Originally posted by Nimrod

Have to eat bread and dripping in secret these days, I even wear a disguise - under threats of violence from spouse- banned food-cholesterol and all that crap. Oh what a delicacy.

I know exactly what you mean. I still crave a slice of bread & dripping sometimes. But my wife won't even save the dripping when we have a sunday roast.

It's straight in the bin before you can say "heart attack" and then I get a lecture about heathly eating.

No Jubblies were different...... These looked like a Tobrerone shape in a cardboard waxed tube, open both ends, and they had a dotted line across the middle so they could be cut in half & and you could buy half a lolly for a penny. I remember Concord Park littered with pieces of these cardboad tubes after the grass cutter had minced them. ( it was over 50 years ago mind you)

Does anyone remember those bubblies called either Gold Dust or Golden Nuggets? (can't remember exact name) They came in a small cloth drawstring bag and were little bits of bright yellow bubbly. The bag may have had a cowboy or prospector or something similar on it in brown I think.

Me and my brothers loved them and used the little bags for keeping alsorts of stuff in afterwards!

Archived