Fave sweets and grub

tiffy

I remember the herbalist near the Abbeydale cinema ,after the pictures we used to go in there for a pint of sasparella

There was a herbalist on Langsett Road called Jack's that sold draught sasparella and something called "Red Eye" whatever that was. Thought we we're really grown up going in there after a session in the Pheonix picture house down the road.

Does anyone remember getting in the pictures for free on a Saturday morning if you took a typhoo tea packet with you? I think it was called the Star Club-Laurel and Hardy, Flash Gordon, Little Rascals, Zorro etc........happy days!

Talking about drink shops there was one on Heeley Green it use to smell like pure heaven,something like orange cordial.Does anyone remember the orange you got from the clinic for babies,it was lovely,I dont suppose it would be good for the new teeth,anyway I never shared it!

Hi Kath,

I remember that orange juice, it used to come in what looked like a medicine bottle. Also remember the Cod Liver Oil and Malt that came in a jar and tasted a bit like toffee.

And Castor Oil for constipation....yeuk !!

When I stayed at my Gran's she used to dose me with Andrews Liver Salts whether I needed them or not, but I got to like those as a fizzy drink and I could burp for ages afterwards without being scolded :D

Originally posted by RoyalRegular

Does anyone remember getting in the pictures for free on a Saturday morning if you took a typhoo tea packet with you? I think it was called the Star Club-Laurel and Hardy, Flash Gordon, Little Rascals, Zorro etc........happy days!

Some kids used to get in the Coliseum on Heeley Bottom for free. One of a group would pay for a ticket, then when the lights went down he'd open the fire exit doors and the rest of the gang would rush in and sit down as quick as they could. The poor usherette would be frantically checking tickets with the kids moving around to avoid her.

Anyone caught without a ticket was dragged out by the ear .:o

I'd really like to see the Little Rascals again

My favourite sweets are chocolate limes, but if they start making marsh mallows without the gelatine then I'm sure they would take over!

Favourite biscuits are ginger nuts... but jaffa cakes are a close second now that they are suitable for vegetarians!

I'd love to know if anybody does old fashioned dolly mixtures any more. I try to find them in every sweet shop I come across but I get directed to the Bassetts jar and they're just not the same! :(

try stockleys sweets at oswaldtwistle mills in Lancashire,you might get dolly mixtures from there ,they make most of the traditional varieties.I will keep an eye out for them now as you have set me off wanting some!They play hell with the teeth though!

Kath, thanks for the tip but they haven't got their online shop set up yet. However, because I launched another search I found this site - http://www.brackenbankstores.co.uk - you can buy Uncle Joes Mint Balls in a 2.7kg bag!!!! There are a few more very interesting sweeties that I haven't tried yet but I'm sorely tempted.

If I find the Dolly Mixtures I'll let you know.:thumbsup:

Archived