Happy with the Government?

Are you happy with your government?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with your government?

• Yes, they are super.
    • No, but we'll vote them out at the next election.
    • We need electoral reform.
    • We need a revolution, preferably non-violent.

The European Convention on Human Rights provides us with the right to free elections.

Is an election truly free if we do not have the option to vote against all the candidates on offer?

Fair point, you still have to convince MP's, who have a vested interest in keeping things as they are, to change the system and provide a NOTA option.

Which as I said before is like asking the monkeys if you can pretty please have the keys to the banana plantation back ( EDIT - actually it's worse than that, you are asking the monkeys if you can have the keys to the banana plantation back because you intend to make them work for their bananas )

They do seem to be remarkably anti NOTA as NOTA and it's variants are the only political party names you aren't allowed to register

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/107694/to-names-rp.pdf - Page 11 ( my underlining )

What names can't we register

Under PPERA, there are certain names that we cannot register.

We will refuse any party name that:

• is the same as another registered party's and already appears on the same register
  • is similar to another registered party's and is likely to confuse voters
  • is longer than six words
  • is obscene or offensive
  • is not in Roman Script (the English alphabet - ABCD etc.)
  • is likely to amount to an offence if published
  • contains certain prohibited words - for example, 'None of the above' is not allowed
  • could mislead a voter about the effect of their vote - for example 'I abstain' would not be allowed
  • could contradict or hinder a voter's understanding of any instructions about the voting process - for example, 'Put a cross here' would not be allowed

Of course, if NoTA wins the vote, then there would be some considerable cost, as they would have to re-run the election, but in that event, the option has already proved its worth.

what makes you think they would have to re-run the election?

they would simply elect the person with most votes

Fair point, you still have to convince MP's, who have a vested interest in keeping things as they are, to change the system and provide a NOTA option.

I don't know. Maybe we have to convince a judge instead...

They do seem to be remarkably anti NOTA as NOTA and it's variants are the only political party names you aren't allowed to register

No, that is fair enough: if you had a party called "None of the Above", then it may cause confusion with people thinking is is a proper vote of dissatisfaction, not just a vote for a party.

The government's official position is that they think voting should be a positive process, and a NoTA option is negative.

The Electoral Reform Society have much the same opinion.

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 13:25 ----------

what makes you think they would have to re-run the election?

Because otherwise the vote would be meaningless.

An alternative to re-running the election might be to select the MP lottocratically: the same way people are selected for jury duty.

judges don't make the laws - they interpret and apply them

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 13:46 ----------

An alternative to re-running the election might be to select the MP lottocratically: the same way people are selected for jury duty.

it wouldn't be any more meaningless than the current system whereby most MPs are elected on minority votes

judges don't make the laws - they interpret and apply them...

Indeed, and where a judge finds a government policy to be unlawful, they have to change either the policy or the law.

it wouldn't be any more meaningless than the current system whereby most MPs are elected on minority votes

Is not the purpose of the exercise to make the elections more meaningful?

Indeed, and where a judge finds a government policy to be unlawful, they have to change either the policy or the law...
So where is this legal challenge ?

It needs to be made and won before the next election if you want this option, so someone better get their skates on.

Talking about it on here won't achieve a thing, if it's a legal matter then get the courts on it by all means, I'd be very interested in following the proceedings of such a court case.

So where is this legal challenge ?

It needs to be made and won before the next election if you want this option, so someone better get their skates on.

I imagine it will be expensive, and the argument is not entirely convincing.

Talking about it on here won't achieve a thing...

It will help gauge public opinion and test the arguments.

I'd be very interested in following the proceedings of such a court case.

If it happens, I'll be sure to let you know...

It has the potential to cause substantial change.

Consider where I live. Most people vote for Labour. Some people vote against Labour, and a lot of people don't bother voting because Labour are sure to get in, not least because the against Labour vote is divided.

If NoTA was an option, and the other parties had a bit of sense, then the vote could be changed to a straightforward for Labour: against Labour.

Probably, they would still win, but they may at least have to work for it a bit, and there are a lot of constituencies where things are not so forgone.

Why would any of the parties change their behaviour if a NoTA vote won? It can't win the seat, so one of them will eventually win.

What Labour is saying sounds nice, but then I think they're the reason we're in this mess in the first place.

Letting people claim disability because they feel a bit sad.

No, no no no no.

Conservatives are the least bad option right now, at least they're trying to get people working and off the dole.

Have you any idea how upsetting and offensive this is?

Archived