Dear Forum.. Advice on working practices please

Please could I have some advice. Is it OK for a work place to expect a young woman to lock up a building on their own when they are scared?

Turning lights off etc, making sure windows are locked, checking each floor, setting the alarm. They are finding it very scary in the workplace on their own.

Shouldn't there be 2 people to do it?

Thanks

Very difficult to give an answer without knowing a number of specifics, for example;

Size of building.

Location of building.

Items of value kept on premises.

Ease of access/number of entrances.

If it's say a two story office block with six rooms and one entrance in a well lit suburb I'd say largely no problem.

If it's a big block with several entrances containing valuable items down somewhere like Neepsend l'd say the firm were being foolish.

I would also hope a more experienced colleague would assist until she was confident.

Please could I have some advice. Is it OK for a work place to expect a young woman to lock up a building on their own when they are scared?

Turning lights off etc, making sure windows are locked, checking each floor, setting the alarm. They are finding it very scary in the workplace on their own.

Thanks

I don't think that's very reasonable at all. If you're scared, you're scared ... irrespective of wether the fear has a logical reason or not.

If the employer knows (I presume they do?) that the person they're asking to lock up the building by themselves is scared to do so, then what they're asking is very unreasonable ... even dangerous.

Unless 'mental anguish' is written into the job description, I see no reason for the employee to be expected to do such a thing ... nor should they be thought of badly.

I have an (irrational) fear of heights, so there's absolutely no chance of me going very far up a set of ladders. My G/F's afraid of moths ... if I were to shut her in a room with one, she'd scream the place down (and possibly pass out!) I choose to remove moths for her instead.

People should have a little more understanding.

Very difficult to give an answer without knowing a number of specifics, for example;

Size of building.

Location of building.

Items of value kept on premises.

Ease of access/number of entrances.

If it's say a two story office block with six rooms and one entrance in a well lit suburb I'd say largely no problem.

If it's a big block with several entrances containing valuable items down somewhere like Neepsend l'd say the firm were being foolish.

I would also hope a more experienced colleague would assist until she was confident.

These questions are valid, it all depends on the circumstance. Although there are other aspects to keep in mind.

I had a female colleague who refused to work evenings because she had a stalking ex. As her manager I resolved the issue by making sure there was always someone there to close with her if it was her shift.

I kept this arrangement going for three months until she was happy to do it on her own.

To be honest I wouldn't think that it was appropriate to ask any single person (male or female, old or young) to take on the responsibility for the whole building as well as being in the work place by themselves for closing up unless they were confident in doing it.

Having one nominated keyholder who is responsible for making sure that everything is locked up is one thing, but expecting them to do that after everybody else has gone home is another matter entirely.

It also depends on the job role. Is this in the job description that you applied for?

As far as I am aware, the fact you are a woman is irrelevant.

Please go and speak to your manager and explain your situation. Include your reasons as "being scared" may not be enough, especially if you work for a small business on a tight staffing budget.

A colleague of mine experienced a very similar situation to that described by tzijstra. She had been attacked by her ex and he worked close by. She was rightly given special dispensation from working late shifts.

Whilst I am empathetic to your situation, I do not go as far as alcoblog. If closing down the building is a key part of the job, you must do it. It wouldn't be fair to expect a male member of staff to do more late shifts (thus not spending time with his family or friends) to cover you. I also think that a fear of heights is rational, falling down things hurts!!!

Raise your concerns with your manager who must make reasonable effort to accomodate you. Be aware though, employing a member of staff close with you, or burdening another member of staff with extra late shifts is unlikely to be considered reasonable.

Best of luck

Thanks

Would you expect a man to do it?

Yes it is ok. But why should the question only refer to young women?

I know of several shops,supermarkets and office blocks who have nominated keyholders and the last out locks up especially if there is only one member of staff left at closing.

If it's of concern to you ask someone to wait with you.

Archived