Tree Surgeon recommendations

i know a brilliant one...he comes and trims my magnolia its 20 foot high !!! and growing. He trims every year..takes all away n really good...my tree looks fab and healthy,he uses all prpoer equipment ect. When he first did it i was like omg its never going to look okay it was cut back and that year looked the best ever.

• 7 months later...
Whoever you get, pay on completion. I hired Garden Services and paid £480. They are coming back to clear up branches etc. That was 18 months ago

Thanks for that but I did manage to find someone about 6 weeks ago. He was the cheapest quote by far. I had quotes of £250 and £180. He came and did it for £120, he removed all the tree and cleaned everything up immaculately. Would recommend him to anyone BRILLIANT !!!!! :)

Whoever you get, pay on completion. I hired Garden Services and paid £480. They are coming back to clear up branches etc. That was 18 months ago

I have occasioned to wonder if it would be worth setting up a company to clear up after cowboys and chase them for the bill...

Anyone know of a decent tree surgeon who is actually in need of work at the moment?

We need some large conifers topping. We have tried phoning several to get quotes. Hardly any actually answer the phone, irrespective of what time or day we try, so we leave answer phone messages and none ever get back to us. We spoke to one who agreed to come and give us a quote and they didn't turn up.

Starting to think if they are so reluctant to engage with potential new customers, it must be a very lucrative business to be in!

Anyone know of a decent tree surgeon who is actually in need of work at the moment?

We need some large conifers topping. We have tried phoning several to get quotes. Hardly any actually answer the phone, irrespective of what time or day we try, so we leave answer phone messages and none ever get back to us. We spoke to one who agreed to come and give us a quote and they didn't turn up.

Starting to think if they are so reluctant to engage with potential new customers, it must be a very lucrative business to be in!

What area are you in ?

• 2 months later...
We have an old oak tree in the back garden which unfortunately has to go as it is too close to our and the neighbours house and have got planning permission for the same. Can any one recommend a reasonably priced tree surgeon for the job?

Also does any one know if you can use the oak wood in any way or sell it to a saw mill or something as it is a fine tree and seems a shame to see it just turn into mulch.

I would've thought that a reputable tree surgeon would know what to do with an oak tree, and surprised if you didn't get something for it. Having said that, I presume it's an English oak tree. Most people's idea of oak nowadays is of much inferior American oak (red or white), as in when they see 'solid oak' furniture and kitchens for sale ... shopfittings too.

I used to make bespoke furniture (cabinetmaker) and only used the very best, typically using 'quarter sawn' timber with the medullary rays for the bits you could see (drawer fronts, cabinet doors and table tops) ... something you hardly get in American. People pay good money for English oak ... it's what heirlooms are made out of. :)