Girls!! Would you go out with a guy who didn't have a car?

Car ownership isn't even a good proxy for financial success. Surely it depends on how and where you work? I have a friend who works for Microsoft in central London, he's pay very well. He doesn't have a car.

I was going to suggest home ownership as a better one, but that's very age dependant, the same guy in London hasn't bought anything yet because prices are so high and he may not stay in London.

Car ownership means scraping together £500 for a decade old small car and then a similar amount a year in running costs. Not really proving very much is it!

So because you've seen your directors park their cars, the only definition of success is to own a car.. How very... Limited.

Who said the only definition of success was to own a car? That would be you. Your mind seems very limited.

Successful people have the ability to buy things. So they own nice houses, nice cars, nice clothes. They take nice holidays and eat in nice restaurants.

If you go to a nice restaurant you see the nice cars of the successful people parked outside.

I drove through Dore this morning and I don't think I passed too many of the successful people's houses that didn't have at least 2 cars parked outside.

Do you consider yourself successful? If so do you own a car? If so why?

---------- Post added 09-12-2013 at 10:10 ----------

I would think success is something we each personally define, for ourselves? Sure, financial success is nice, but there are many ways and standards by which we can measure ourselves and aspire to be better.

This may be true but the first thing a footballer does when he hits the big time is to buy a big set of wheels and a new Rolex.

Successful people have the ability to buy things. So they own nice houses, nice cars, nice clothes. They take nice holidays and eat in nice restaurants.

Provoking points Speckled Hen, I guess it depends how one describes success and whether financial success makes up for a lack of success in other areas-emotional/social.

Throughout my professional life I've encountered many people who've been extremely successful financially, but are unable to maintain relationships because they've made their material success pre-eminent, in other words they 'believe' it compensates for other shortcomings in their lives and personalities. But over time it constipates a relationship, what's the point in driving a car or wearing a diamond that a dullard bought you?

I know more frustrated women who are the beneficiaries of the largesse of wealthy men, than I do happy women who are with emotionally intelligent men who communicate and have a genuine interest in them, that's what maintains a relationship and through experience realise what we're all seeking from a partner.

The other point to remember is how competitive the marketplace is, the financially successful man who looks like Brad Pitt is a rare 'prize', purely for superficial reasons, and he knows it-in fact he doesn't even have to be high on the eye candy scale. The swivel heads who patrol Nonna's, Napoleon's or West 10 hoping to catch his attention will invariably encounter a rude awakening when they discover he isn't exclusive to them ;)

Provoking points Speckled Hen, I guess it depends how one describes success and whether financial success makes up for a lack of success in other areas-emotional/social.

Throughout my professional life I've encountered many people who've been extremely successful financially, but are unable to maintain relationships because they've made their material success pre-eminent, in other words they 'believe' it compensates for other shortcomings in their lives and personalities. But over time it constipates a relationship, what's the point in driving a car or wearing a diamond that a dullard bought you?

I know more frustrated women who are the beneficiaries of the largesse of wealthy men, than I do happy women who are with emotionally intelligent men who communicate and have a genuine interest in them, that's what maintains a relationship and through experience realise what we're all seeking from a partner.

The other point to remember is how competitive the marketplace is, the financially successful man who looks like Brad Pitt is a rare 'prize', purely for superficial reasons, and he knows it-in fact he doesn't even have to be high on the eye candy scale. The swivel heads who patrol Nonna's, Napoleon's or West 10 hoping to catch his attention will invariably encounter a rude awakening when they discover he isn't exclusive to them ;)

I never mentioned the largesse of women. I was replying to Cyclone who was doing his best to misquote me to try to get out of a corner.

Sucess or lack of it have little baring on whether you can maintain a relationship, although a life in the spotlight may well.

But certainly If a person has the ability to afford a car he will buy one. I know of very few folks who could afford a set of wheels who don't drive other that through infirmity. I don't understand why you assume that folk with money to buy a car would be more likely to be dullards than folk who wear cycle clips.

There are some wonderful pubs & restaurants out in Derbyshire that are only accessible to motorists or very fit cyclists. I'm sure a romantic weekend away in the Yorkshire Dales is possible without a car, but if you have to set off back 15 minutes after you arrive it is pretty pointless.

But certainly If a person has the ability to afford a car he will buy one. I know of very few folks who could afford a set of wheels who don't drive other that through infirmity. I don't understand why you assume that folk with money to buy a car would be more likely to be dullards than folk who wear cycle clips.

It's not a certainty at all. You even admit to knowing of such people in your following sentence. You know of another one now - me. I don't understand why you assume everybody who can afford to buy a car would choose to do so.

---------- Post added 09-12-2013 at 12:22 ----------

Car ownership means scraping together £500 for a decade old small car and then a similar amount a year in running costs. Not really proving very much is it!

Given the number of drivers who give high ticket prices as a reason for avoiding public transport you could argue that regularly using the latter is a sign of wealth. ;)

I presume you aren't a motorist then.

Just run by me this £500 to run a car. Mine takes petrol, insurance, tyres, road tax, maintenance. It is a great trick if you can do that on £500.

Archived