Could you wait until 77 for your state pension?

The Government have announced that changes to the pension system will come in sooner than originally envisaged.

This could mean many more people waiting until they are 70 or more before getting their pension.

"Ed Wilson, of the accountants PwC, said: "The Chancellor announced that someone in their 40s won't get their state pension until they are aged 68; the linkage to life expectancy is likely to mean someone starting work now will have to wait to age 72, and a child born today is unlikely to receive their state pension until they reach 77. ""

Is it fair to expect people to work until into their 70's? Would you be happy to work that long? And how will it hold back the young jobseekers if the elderly carry on working for longer?

The Government have announced that changes to the pension system will come in sooner than originally envisaged.

This could mean many more people waiting until they are 70 or more before getting their pension.

"Ed Wilson, of the accountants PwC, said: "The Chancellor announced that someone in their 40s won't get their state pension until they are aged 68; the linkage to life expectancy is likely to mean someone starting work now will have to wait to age 72, and a child born today is unlikely to receive their state pension until they reach 77. ""

Is it fair to expect people to work until into their 70's? Would you be happy to work that long? And how will it hold back the young jobseekers if the elderly carry on working for longer?

I think you will find that by that time people will be living healthy lives much beyond 100 years of age.So it will not be unreasonable to expect the pensionable age to increase. also we need to be realistic! if the economic conditions are not favorable in future years,there may be no pension payouts at any age.Asian countries have had centuries of no pensions or benefits,but are now more economically better in a position to consider them.We as a country may not be in a luxury position of pension and benefit payments in the future!

Just think for a moment some of the issues that face us,.......too many obscene bonuses and wages ,too many people at University who should not be there ,and too many people on the gravy train of benefits!.......you cannot continue to run the country for much longer before the sh*t really hits the fan.

Yes

Yes

Why would it hold young job-seekers back, when we are apparently that desperate for workers we encourage them to move here from other parts of the world.

Yes. I Expect it, as we all live longer, we all have to. Can't expect the young to carry us for longer and longer.

Not everyone lives longer Ron, and just think when most hit 65 they've worked for 49 to 50 years, that's enough for anyone. Instead of making people work till they drop, what about dropping retirement to 55, and 2 years before they are due to go 53-55 getting some of the unemployed, to do the jobs train them up.

This way you cut the unemployment bill, let people have a well earned rest and get people off their butts.

People can spout all they want on a forum, but I bet many don't want to have to work so late in life. Don't forget the MP's that have proposed this will all be sat at home, all cosy enjoying their retirements at 55 -60.

Not everyone lives longer Ron, and just think when most hit 65 they've worked for 49 to 50 years, that's enough for anyone. Instead of making people work till they drop, what about dropping retirement to 55, and 2 years before they are due to go 53-55 getting some of the unemployed, to do the jobs train them up.

This way you cut the unemployment bill, let people have a well earned rest and get people off their butts.

People can spout all they want on a forum, but I bet many don't want to have to work so late in life. Don't forget the MP's that have proposed this will all be sat at home, all cosy enjoying their retirements at 55 -60.

The average age of MPs is 50. My guess is there are some old ones and some young ones.

The average age of MPs is 50. My guess is there are some old ones and some young ones.

Maybe so, but how many don't have a nice retirement pension to fall back on, in addition to all the other sidelines they have. We should be looking at people's quality of lives in retirement, not making them work till unable to really enjoy it.

I'm 52, I have a nice, warm, sedentary, brain job & wouldn't want to work for another 25 years. if I dug holes, shifted heavy things, laid bricks or whatever, how the hell would I work into my 70s? who would give a job to a 69 year old? no one. it means that people will fall into poverty in later years like they did in victorian england, will 70 year olds have their benefits cut for not job seeking properly? no one Osborne has ever known will be affected by this madness, his banker, lawyer, etc friends and kin will retire at 50 odd if they choose - if they choose not to, they will remain in warm sedentry jobs like mine until they are fed up - the state pension is irrelevant to them, it's the price of a decent bottle of claret. I genuinely wonder what the british people will put up with.

I'm 52, I have a nice, warm, sedentary, brain job & wouldn't want to work for another 25 years. if I dug holes, shifted heavy things, laid bricks or whatever, how the hell would I work into my 70s? who would give a job to a 69 year old? no one. it means that people will fall into poverty in later years like they did in victorian england, will 70 year olds have their benefits cut for not job seeking properly? no one Osborne has ever known will be affected by this madness, his banker, lawyer, etc friends and kin will retire at 50 odd if they choose - if they choose not to, they will remain in warm sedentry jobs like mine until they are fed up - the state pension is irrelevant to them, it's the price of a decent bottle of claret. I genuinely wonder what the british people will put up with.

Frank the new rules bring back jokes that were out when we were kids, I'm 55 when asked at school what you wanted to do. The standard joke was be a lollipop man, you don't start till you're 65.

Why does the issue of manual labour always come into this? bricklayers, hod carriers etc....

By raising the retirement age people are being given a choice. People working in manual roles may wish to continue to work into their 80s and at present people are FORCED to retire at 65 and in effect they go onto the scrap heap. They don't have a choice.

The issue is not an issue, people have rights to work and to be honest it would take a brave government to scrap retirement, but I think by doing this people will embrace choice.

Archived