Could you wait until 77 for your state pension?

Wait till I'm 77? Got to get there first. If I don't make it, do I get my money back which I've been paying all these years? Thought not

This is an interesting idea.

Pensions in the afterlife.

I think Mr Osborne might be interested in this.

The church thought of it a long time ago and called it paradise,that didn't work either.

My own view about life expectancy is that we should not expect it to just keep going up and up forever. The recent improvements in these figures have been due to the improvements of lives during the 20th century. Where we are at now should be regarded as a stable plateaux. It could be that the continuing age increases are an exaggeration that have been published due to trends and estimates, especially as they are predictions of what is going to happen in the future.

Now how is this as a suggestion?

As medical science and diagnostics improve, it would be more fair for the state pension part of retirement income to be based upon the individual's genetics, whereby they would be provided a state retirement income for the expected last (seventh) of their lives, regardless of whether they choose to work on or not.

therefore anyone with a congenital condition will be able to retire earlier if it is likely to lead to their early death so they can enjoy a little retirement before it is too late.

There is still nothing to stop people retiring earlier if they have saved up for it.

The Government have announced that changes to the pension system will come in sooner than originally envisaged.

This could mean many more people waiting until they are 70 or more before getting their pension.

"Ed Wilson, of the accountants PwC, said: "The Chancellor announced that someone in their 40s won't get their state pension until they are aged 68; the linkage to life expectancy is likely to mean someone starting work now will have to wait to age 72, and a child born today is unlikely to receive their state pension until they reach 77. ""

Is it fair to expect people to work until into their 70's? Would you be happy to work that long? And how will it hold back the young jobseekers if the elderly carry on working for longer?

If you are the parent of a child consider opening a stakeholder pension for them now. Put £10 a month in and specify the maturity for age 65. If they continue to pay in all tgeir life and index link the payments to inflation then at age 65 the pension could be worth nearly £10k a year in today's money for a newborn.

Get started early if you can.

Clown Shoes:

I assume you are far from impressed by the 33,00 figure and feel that due to the NHS it is under preforming. In a previous post I stated that out figures outstrip the death rate in the death camps. Are you suggesting the old should seriously consider opening termination studios, with accompanying TV and media advert, to encourage people over a particular age, or in medical difficulty to self terminate?

So all medical research should stop, to clear the decks of those prone to serious illness, stop immunisation to certain sections of society, allowing nature to recall the weak? Family members could then vote on the merits their parents and grandparents, and wheel them off turning their future into dust, to fertilise the allotment maybe?

I am attempting to say that you have a valid idea, but others would use this as a foundation to justify further advances. I assume you as well as I would not cart off our own sick relatives, or children as they have no further use for the state and are and will be a burden to us, just like people today have their pets put down. Sadly in the right climate this could become a reality.

i suspect that in the future there is going to be a whole raft of people between the ages of 60 and 70 who will be unemployed and not able to find another job, (who would employ them?) who are going to be left high and dry for 10 years, not able to work and not entitled to a pension or any benefits, who are going to have to live on their savings until they are all gone.

They can then look forward to a few years of old age in penury until death.

Great eh...

i suspect that in the future there is going to be a whole raft of people between the ages of 60 and 70 who will be unemployed and not able to find another job, (who would employ them?) who are going to be left high and dry for 10 years, not able to work and not entitled to a pension or any benefits, who are going to have to live on their savings until they are all gone.

They can then look forward to a few years of old age in penury until death.

Great eh...

Don't worry, that will be when assisted suicides get the ok!

The Government have announced that changes to the pension system will come in sooner than originally envisaged.

This could mean many more people waiting until they are 70 or more before getting their pension.

"Ed Wilson, of the accountants PwC, said: "The Chancellor announced that someone in their 40s won't get their state pension until they are aged 68; the linkage to life expectancy is likely to mean someone starting work now will have to wait to age 72, and a child born today is unlikely to receive their state pension until they reach 77. ""

Is it fair to expect people to work until into their 70's? Would you be happy to work that long? And how will it hold back the young jobseekers if the elderly carry on working for longer?

If someone born today is also expected to live past 100 then pension starting at 77 sounds about right doesn't it?

The alternative is that general taxation has to go up because people ARE living longer and thus draw pensions for longer.

---------- Post added 07-12-2013 at 19:33 ----------

Wait till I'm 77? Got to get there first. If I don't make it, do I get my money back which I've been paying all these years? Thought not

You haven't just been born today though, so you don't have a life expectancy of 90 to 100 years.

Clown Shoes:

I assume you are far from impressed by the 33,00 figure and feel that due to the NHS it is under preforming. In a previous post I stated that out figures outstrip the death rate in the death camps. Are you suggesting the old should seriously consider opening termination studios, with accompanying TV and media advert, to encourage people over a particular age, or in medical difficulty to self terminate?

So all medical research should stop, to clear the decks of those prone to serious illness, stop immunisation to certain sections of society, allowing nature to recall the weak? Family members could then vote on the merits their parents and grandparents, and wheel them off turning their future into dust, to fertilise the allotment maybe?

I am attempting to say that you have a valid idea, but others would use this as a foundation to justify further advances. I assume you as well as I would not cart off our own sick relatives, or children as they have no further use for the state and are and will be a burden to us, just like people today have their pets put down. Sadly in the right climate this could become a reality.

Nelson Mandela is a good example.

Gave him intensive care when he shoulda pasted away peacefully in his sleep 6 months ago.

What quality of life did he have? He was 93 yrs old

and probably cost hundreds of thousands of pounds too.

Archived