Was the BBC's coverage of Mandela's death over the top?

.....of course I looked straight away in case it was something serious which might affect me and saw it was Nelson Mandela had finally died.

Give the BBC your number and they can phone and ask whether you're personally directly affected by any major event that happens in order to decide how much airtime to give a story.

It's the same with many similar events...

For example, back in July, we had days and days of ""Overprivileged rich woman gives birth"... in April we had days of "despised old woman dies"...

At least they werent as wall to wall and constant as when diana died.

That was mental with a capital M!!

I think the coverage has been about right. He was a major figure on the world stage, if they drag it out to tomorrow then that will be taking the **** but today has been what id expect if im honest.

Give the BBC your number and they can phone and ask whether you're personally directly affected by any major event that happens in order to decide how much airtime to give a story.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. When you see banners on the programme you are watching saying "Breaking news on BBC1" you have to look in case it's some sort of disaster that has directly affected your family or friends. It could have been a jumbo jet fell out of the sky and splatted a Sheffield suburb a la Lockerbie for instance.

Look North, a local 30 min news program devoted twenty of them to the story, totally unexceptable.This morning i bought the only paper without him on the front cover now we have the funeral to look forward to,great.

Look North, a local 30 min news program devoted twenty of them to the story, totally unexceptable.This morning i bought the only paper without him on the front cover now we have the funeral to look forward to,great.

Local TV always manages to find some obscure link to the region.

Unless mandela was a yorkshire man ? :hihi:

Local TV always manages to find some obscure link to the region.

So was mandela a yorkshire man ? :hihi:

They were saying what an impact he made on his visits,no mention he was a convicted terrorist,wonder if he would have got the same coverage had he been a white South African.

They were saying what an impact he made on his visits,no mention he was a convicted terrorist,wonder if he would have got the same coverage had he been a white South African.

He wouldn't have spent 27 years of his life in prison if he'd been a white South African.

From your own link -

''Du Toit had authored a blueprint for revolution intended to evict black people from most of South Africa and to kill anyone who got in the way, the South African Press Association reports.''

If you think that's morally equivalent to ending the apartheid regime and allowing democracy, you're a sick puppy.

Archived