Was the BBC's coverage of Mandela's death over the top?

Its just the nature of any major event and 24h rolling news. He was a world figure and will be remembered as having played a major role in history. It was a bit too much blanket coverage but quite easy to swutch off and watch soemthing else. I dont mind as I know some people really want to see this minute by minute thing.

Yes, do you think the loss of life was the right way to do it.

Oh I can just see the South African nationalists cowering in fear at the prospect of Mandela giving them a good telling off.

Anyway, it's interesting to see your transformation into a pacifist.

Its just the nature of any major event and 24h rolling news. He was a world figure and will be remembered as having played a major role in history. It was a bit too much blanket coverage but quite easy to swutch off and watch soemthing else. I dont mind as I know some people really want to see this minute by minute thing.

It wasn't easy to switch off and watch something else though, that was my point. Of course Mandela's death was going to be the reason for an extended news, but I was interested to find out about the floods and storms of yesterday.

Oh I can just see the South African nationalists cowering in fear at the prospect of Mandela giving them a good telling off.

Anyway, it's interesting to see your transformation into a pacifist.

Not pacifism, realism, time will tell as to how South Africa turns out, my guess is it won't be pretty.

From your own link -

''Du Toit had authored a blueprint for revolution intended to evict black people from most of South Africa and to kill anyone who got in the way, the South African Press Association reports.''

If you think that's morally equivalent to ending the apartheid regime and allowing democracy, you're a sick puppy.

I would have thought both agendas were similar ?

Im sure the press reported many a similar story about the ANC back in the days of their terror campaign wouldn't you say ?

---------- Post added 07-12-2013 at 04:18 ----------

So how do you feel about the bombs the British forces have employed over the years they've been involved in conflict, do you think there's any moral equivalence between that and what Mandela did or Du Toit for that matter?

We Brits have a lot to answer for, you only have to look at Cameron trotting round the world touting for arms contracts from countries that suppress their citizens.

I don't think anyone will disagree that we are as bad.

---------- Post added 07-12-2013 at 04:22 ----------

I think that is the problem, they would have been slated a lot more had they not given it enough air time, I wouldn't like to call that balance, but from my perspective so what if he was this and that, other stuff happens in the world and I want to see some of it rather than just this 'expected' event.

I do have to agree that it was over the top.

Whilst some of the country was getting battered and flooded by some of the highest waves since the 50's, we have to listen in and on about someone who's 95 and popped his clogs.

End of the day:

We live, we die......we just have to put up with the ****ty bit in the middle

You guys have the internet for other news as well as whatever channels you have on freeview. I found it easy to turn off and also access other information even if it there wasnt as much on the main channels. It was an historical event and found it more interesting than the royal wedding.

Archived