New House - first time buyer

Hi Guys,

I am in the throws of buying a house and moving in from rented accommodation (first time buyer)

Other than a bed, mattress, wardrobe and clothes, I own very little and as such, I will need to go shopping for everything one could imagine, including white goods.

Does anyone have any tips/advice they can provide such as where to go to get the best deals etc so that I don't end up overspending as I can imagine is a possibility.

The only thing I can think of, is to do it in January as I may get some good January deals.

Thank you in advance.

Just write down a list and think of the essentials you need for each room.

Budget carefully based on what you must have immediately and things that can wait a few months 2-4 and those things you want in the first year. It depends on your dispoable income/savings.

Learn what a good price is and also about quality. Without knowing a good price then can end up paying over the odds which is wasteful. Good quality or at least value for money is important as cheap can sometimes be false economy. Sometimes better quality pays off in the long run because things last longer or perform better.

Shops that tend to offer value for money, Wilkinsons, TJ Hughes for kitchen stuff, Argos. You still need to be able to recognise quality and value for money.

I wouldnt discount ebay for anything. The big issues are guarantees, postage and if you mind second hand. If you have done your homework on quality and price then you can spot the bargains. You can pick up white goods an save substantial amounts.

Start off with essentials and try very hard to avoid going into debt. If you go for cheap then its always open to you that items are only meant to last a short time and you can buy better later on.

Hi Guys,

I am in the throws of buying a house and moving in from rented accommodation (first time buyer)

Other than a bed, mattress, wardrobe and clothes, I own very little and as such, I will need to go shopping for everything one could imagine, including white goods.

Does anyone have any tips/advice they can provide such as where to go to get the best deals etc so that I don't end up overspending as I can imagine is a possibility.

The only thing I can think of, is to do it in January as I may get some good January deals.

Thank you in advance.

if you haven't completed yet, when negotiating you could ask if they will include things like blinds, carpets, curtains etc, youll probably get them if they think they've got a sale

^^ This ^^

So many awesome stuff available second hand. When we moved in to our first place, didnt have much as we always rented fully furnished. Our friends gave us their ten year old fridge, which lasted us another 4 years before we could redo the kitchen.

If you need big things (TVs, etc) hotdealsUK is also a great resource for finding steals online

Archived