What defines a terrorist?

Who decides what a just cause is?

I find it hard to believe that many people have ever fought for a cause they do not believe to be just.

Well, there are certain questions which participants could probably ask themselves before taking up arms.

For instance, what is the cause for which I am prepared to kill or be killed?

1, Is it for my own personal benefit? Will I become rich &, or, famous by carrying out this course of action?

2, Is it for the financial benefit or increase in power of whoever is persuading me to take up arms?

3, Is it so that my country can retain, or gain possession over, land & people who do not wish for this to happen?

4, Are my family,friends, country & way of life being threatened by an outside country or agency, & unless I & others resist we will become enslaved by people who have no interest in our welfare or the well being of our children?

Now it seems to me if the answer to questions 1, 2 & 3 is yes then maybe, just maybe you are embarking on a dubious course of action.

On the other hand if the answer to number 4 is yes then go for it, I wish you well & we'll keep the home fires burning. :)

Obviously that's only my personal opinion & unfortunately a lot of people have given their lives believing they were responding to number 4, whilst in reality they had been conned. :(

When we did counter terrorism training at work and we were basically told, bottom line, that a terrorist is someone or an organisation that uses violence or intimidation to bring someone to the negotiation table. Since that time the definition has been updated several times and the government of every country with have a different version of what terrorism is.

When we did counter terrorism training at work and we were basically told, bottom line, that a terrorist is someone or an organisation that uses violence or intimidation to bring someone to the negotiation table. Since that time the definition has been updated several times and the government of every country with have a different version of what terrorism is.

On that definition you could accuse some unions of being terrorists. Threatening strike action damaging the company's prospects & future could be easily classed as intimidation.

was guy fawkes a terrorist/freedom fighter?

What do you think ricgem?

Before you answer, bear in mind he wasn't on the payroll of Standard Fireworks, they were a later invention created for your juvenile amusement :)

---------- Post added 06-12-2013 at 21:29 ----------

So it seems terrorism is any direct act of aggression for political purposes, whoever it's enacted by-us or them.

Who decides what a just cause is?

I find it hard to believe that many people have ever fought for a cause they do not believe to be just.

British Tommy 1st July 1916 6:30 a.m. trench on the Somme.Which do you fear most the German machine gunners or the bullet from the firing squad after the Courts Martial ? Where is the just cause ?

We'd already arrived at that conclusion (assuming what's been said is true) and also discovered that terrorism isnt necessarily a bad thing.
i wonder why you couldnt accept it on the other thread :roll:

---------- Post added 06-12-2013 at 22:49 ----------

A good one. Fighting for a vital and essential cause against monstrous oppression.

is that what you think about the 2 who killed lee rigby :roll:

Archived