War hero's benefits axed - because he was selling POPPIES !

This forum is for Sheffielders to voice their thoughts on many topics ,as a hard working tax paying member i object to people i see as free loaders leeching off the rest of us.

And I agree with you. But saying "Run along troll" does not further the discussion, it is trolling in itself.

To the poster who said that the charity doesn't matter, it does. Look to the thread title and you will see the word poppies in capital letters.

Well he wasn't available for job seeking when he was selling poppies was he?

Just like when he was asleep, or in the bath, or walking the dog, or cooking his tea.

Are you meant to job-seek 24 hours a day, seven days a week, or are you allowed time off to go to the loo?

Plenty of people work full time AND do voluntary work, so I don't see why you can't volunteer while you look for employment.

Well he wasn't available for job seeking when he was selling poppies was he?

Just like when he was asleep, or in the bath, or walking the dog, or cooking his tea.

Are you meant to job-seek 24 hours a day, seven days a week, or are you allowed time off to go to the loo?

Plenty of people work full time AND do voluntary work, so I don't see why you can't volunteer while you look for employment.

I think you have missed the point.

If the gentleman had been searching for a job all the working days apart from the 24 hours he was selling poppies then I don't imagine that he would have been sanctioned.

I suspect (thats all any of us can do because the article is hardly balanced or informative) that the gentleman did not search for a job during the two week period and did this instead.

I imagine it was the lack of action whilst not selling poppies that was the problem.

I suspect (thats all any of us can do because the article is hardly balanced or informative) that the gentleman did not search for a job during the two week period and did this instead.

I imagine it was the lack of action whilst not selling poppies that was the problem.

But how can we get outraged at that sort of event?

The article is in the Mirror, so it will have the slant on it that has a go at the government. Read between the lines and we see that the man was not looking for work. He should have been. Then the rest of us who pay (a lot) of tax can support him. Perhaps he should get a job.

to civilised a country annab we can afford to take allsorts of people into the country and look after them. this country runs a pyramid scheme whereby millions of people are putting money into the pot and a certain few(mps/rich people)contribute very little but take out a lot (wages/expences/pensions etc). until the time comes when our older people start to retire then suddenly the pots empty and the money needs to start coming in again(more taxes)and the cycle begins again :loopy:

I think you'll find MPs pay tax. I also think you'll find those who earn a lot of money, pay a LOT of tax. Much much more than the poor.

---------- Post added 06-12-2013 at 21:30 ----------

Why wasn't he given a warning/chance before they took such draconian measures though ?

He will have been told about the rules. Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

Sorry officer, I didn't know drinking and driving was against the law. Oh that's alright then Sir: on your way

Fair enough. I would like to ask you if you would still feel disgusted if the charity wasn't the British Legion, but was to help pedophiles?

I imagine your answer will be no, so I will ask the next question straight away. Who should decide which charities are on the "good list" and which aren't?

You seem fixated on Paedophiles for some reason. what are you on about ?

Archived