Singers with earphones

They're in ear monitors.

You get to hear the backing track you're singing to or in the case of live bands a mix of the instruments you're playing with.

Very expensive and I'd love some.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

They will be listening to their own mix of the band, in the same way as you see (every?) band playing with their own speakers in front of them. It'll be mixed to their specification, which is different for every singer / performer out there.

IEM's aren't actually that expensive, and have lots of benefits (quieter, less feedback), but also disadvantages (cost, availability, interference & time to set up).

Of course, with IEM's not being audible to the audience, you can also put other things in them, such as click tracks, countdowns on when to start singing, and reminders of lyrics.

They will be listening to their own mix of the band, in the same way as you see (every?) band playing with their own speakers in front of them. It'll be mixed to their specification, which is different for every singer / performer out there.

IEM's aren't actually that expensive, and have lots of benefits (quieter, less feedback), but also disadvantages (cost, availability, interference & time to set up).

Of course, with IEM's not being audible to the audience, you can also put other things in them, such as click tracks, countdowns on when to start singing, and reminders of lyrics.

Good wireless ones are expensive. Decent ones are high end three figures into four. Annoyingly.

They're in ear monitors.

You get to hear the backing track you're singing to or in the case of live bands a mix of the instruments you're playing with.

Very expensive and I'd love some.

So it's like glorified karaoke? ;)

Good wireless ones are expensive. Decent ones are high end three figures into four. Annoyingly.

No different to a decent wireless microphone.

The cheapo ~£100 wireless IEM's aren't that bad. I've got a set for when I'm mixing wirelessly and still want to be able to hear my cue bus.

So it's like glorified karaoke? ;)

Isn't that what all live performers are doing?

Singers on TV (eg Robbie Williams on TV at present) usually wear earphones in one or both ears. What are they listening to? Is it the musical accompaniment, themselves, both, or something else?

From the bits of his concerts I have seen he seems to get the crowd to sing his hits to him.So maybe he listens to something of value to pass the time.

Archived