Which Time in History?

Nice post, I'd like to do the same with my grandfather who passed away some years ago.

Off the wall topics like this can show so much of a person, when it boils down to it is rigging the lottery as important as sharing time with loved ones ? :)

I don't think I would want to go back to any particular time, not as far as my past is concerned anyhow, as its what makes me today in its entirety, good or bad.

If it is just to witness a past event then I would never get off as I would not be able to make my mind up. :D

I would love to go back to Alcatraz Island on June 11, 1962, when Frank Morris, John Anglin, and Clarence Anglin carried out one of the most intricate escapes ever devised.

I would be out there on a boat with the most cutting edge state of the art night vision system known to man and prove once and for all, whether these guys made it or not.

I would also use the same said equipment at Rendlesham Forest, Suffolk, England, in late December 1980, to capture one of the best UFO incidents ever recorded, I would then come back to the future and sabotage the world's TV networks and post said footage simultaneously on every channel in every country, there we are not alone, and then take down the Pentagon :hihi:

They asked this question on a radio panel show once, only it was 'On which day in history would you prefer to have been born?' and someone (I can't remember who) said 'The day after they discovered antibiotics'.

I'm inclined to agree.

It's easy to fantasise about periods in history which would have been good to experience, but when you remember the medical realities the present has a lot to be said for it.

If I had to pick Id choose late Victorian and early Edwardian times when there was a real optimism and belief in progress. Liberal ideas were emerging and fashionable and things were on the up. This would be as a gentleman of leisure, the working class were still having a grim time of it with no social security or National Health.

May 8th 1945, the defeat of Nazi Germany. What an excuse for a booze up.
I joined all the crazies outside the City Hall, 14 years old and drunk. Watched an old feller shimmy most of the way up a lamppost about 25 feet then fall off. Don't know what happened to him though, didn't care much either.

Archived