74 grand a year are they worth it

OK, so what ARE the responsibilities of a backbencher? Turning up occasionally to vote the way the whips tell them, cheering or booing dependant on which side is talking?
See here, here and here. To begin with, by way of general introduction.

After that, multiply each general task by -as appropriate-:

• the number of constituents of an MP with issues (there are thousands - unsurprisingly, since 'British life' involves millions of different personal situations everyday: social, economical, diplomatical, criminal, etc.);
  • the number of committees to which the MP participates (there are hundreds - unsurprisingly, since 'British life' involves hundreds/thousands of different aspects requiring consultation/action: social, economical, diplomatical, etc.);
  • the number of Acts, Statutes, Amendments, etc. requiring a vote in the Commons (there are dozens <etc. - you get the gist>);
  • the number of professional engagements, i.e. outings, meetings, diners <etc.> (guess what? there are <etc. - you get the gist> basically, at least one a night, every night, for most of any given year...if you want a family life, don't marry an MP)

The list goes on. All of that to be done by each MP, for its constituents and the general aspects of the job. With some support staff.

Most people I know, including the genius-grade grafters (and I know a fair few of them), wouldn't have the drive to last a year, never mind a legislature or, for that matter, make a career out of it.

I wouldn't do it for £100k net, nvm £74k gross.

• the number of constituents of an MP with issues (there are thousands - unsurprisingly, since 'British life' involves millions of different personal situations everyday: social, economical, diplomatical, criminal, etc.);
  • the number of committees to which the MP participates (there are hundreds - unsurprisingly, since 'British life' involves hundreds/thousands of different aspects requiring consultation/action: social, economical, diplomatical, etc.);
  • the number of Acts, Statutes, Amendments, etc. requiring a vote in the Commons (there are dozens <etc. - you get the gist>);
  • the number of professional engagements, i.e. outings, meetings, diners <etc.> (guess what? there are <etc. - you get the gist> basically, at least one a night, every night, for most of any given year...if you want a family life, don't marry an MP)

The list goes on. All of that to be done by each MP, for its constituents and the general aspects of the job. With some support staff.

Most people I know, including the genius-grade grafters (and I know a fair few of them), wouldn't have the drive to last a year, never mind a legislature or, for that matter, make a career out of it.

how they have time for their other jobs beggars belief :roll::hihi:

how they have time for their other jobs beggars belief :roll::hihi:
Might beggar your belief :rolleyes:

'told you from the start it wasn't exactly a "cushy" job :|

Don't take my word for it: go see your MP, take an interest in what they do, make up your own mind about the function, hell...educate your opinion a bit!

Then come back on here, and let's see how long the brainless, red top-fed rabble-rousing lasts.

Don't take my word for it: go see your MP, take an interest in what they do, make up your own mind about the function, hell...educate your opinion a bit!

Then come back on here, and let's see how long the brainless, red top-fed rabble-rousing lasts.

Good posting loob

:love::clap:

And ALL the MP's, including the backbenchers do all that? Yeah, sure they do

And ALL the MP's, including the backbenchers do all that? Yeah, sure they do
Why don't you ask some/all of them?

And/or research the issue, since it apparently matters to you so much?

Or are you just content to keep sniping cluelessly?

Good posting loob

:love::clap:

I don't mind opinionated debate. So long as there at least a semblance of a debate, i.e. somewhat informed (and willing to be as it goes along).

I've worked with Députés and MPs, in various guises over the last 20 years, most of time completely by accident...but I certainly gained a ton of insight from these experiences, into what goes into the job, and the demands of it, so much professional as personal. As well as a healthy dose of respect for them, regardless of their political affiliation (believe it or not).

I have a lot of time for our MP (John Mann). He's Labour, and most regulars on here will know full well I'm not exactly left-leaning to begin with. I'm also about to get involved with Kevin Barron, about something which I can't go into further details on here. Again, have all the time for him. He's Labour and an ex-Union top brass.

There are bad apples, for sure. I've heard and read about them, like most everybody. That doesn't mean that they are symptomatic/representative of the entire lot, far from it.

so you agree they cant do other jobs with all the time it takes to be a mp :suspect::hihi:

Archived