Old Factories In The 50s

old tup

As a kid growing up in the 50s I was always nosing around one place or another and I was thinking about a couple of old business premises I used to peek at.One was a cooperage or a wooden barrel maker,it was situated on Langsett Road bang across from the top of Wood Street,it was fascinating to watch the craftsmen going about their jobs!.I used to hang around until somebody spotted me and told me to"Bugger off before you get hurt!"which was good advice although I didn,t think so at the time.Another place I stuck my head in now and again was on Farfield Road just up from the pub across from Balms sweet shop on the opposite corner,this was the vinegar depot I,m not sure if it was put in barrels or bottled but you could smell it well before got to the place,it was not unpleasant and it was one of those smells that stick in your memory,I can almost smell it now all these years later!.Just a couple of memories of years gone by I wonder how many cooperages are left nowadays,does anyone remember these two places in old Sheffield?.:love::)

As a kid growing up in the 50s I was always nosing around one place or another and I was thinking about a couple of old business premises I used to peek at.One was a cooperage or a wooden barrel maker,it was situated on Langsett Road bang across from the top of Wood Street,it was fascinating to watch the craftsmen going about their jobs!.I used to hang around until somebody spotted me and told me to"Bugger off before you get hurt!"which was good advice although I didn,t think so at the time.Another place I stuck my head in now and again was on Farfield Road just up from the pub across from Balms sweet shop on the opposite corner,this was the vinegar depot I,m not sure if it was put in barrels or bottled but you could smell it well before got to the place,it was not unpleasant and it was one of those smells that stick in your memory,I can almost smell it now all these years later!.Just a couple of memories of years gone by I wonder how many cooperages are left nowadays,does anyone remember these two places in old Sheffield?.:love::)

The Hallamshire Vinegar Co. Farfield Road, the old Methodist chapel, always liked the look of it, non brewed condiment springs to mind.

use to raid the wood barrel's at Bassett's for licorice realy got the runs if u was lucky, also on a different subject talking of Wood st we had run away from Fullwood homes and was around when Wood st got bombed looking around for anything we could eat or steal when we got the same bugger off from the firecrew:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

My aunt worked at the vinegar factory,there was a cooperage at Upperthorpe as well,the one at the top of Wood st would be the Crown Brewery I think later Kelvin scrap metals.

All the beer kegs are now metal and the rest are made plastic which make good storage tubs for your horse feed, (don't think you have rats in England):hihi::hihi:

Don Joinery

W Justice

Whiteleys Coaches

Whiteleys sweet Shop

Kenyons

My aunt worked at the vinegar factory,there was a cooperage at Upperthorpe as well,the one at the top of Wood st would be the Crown Brewery I think later Kelvin scrap metals.
The brewery evidently had a long history. Notes accompanying a picturesheffield.com photo (here is a link) state:

Crown Brewery founded in the 1860s, first traded as Samuel Berry & Co until 1865- business purchased by Ladysbridge Brewery. 1897 bought by James Haynes later trading as the Crown Brewery Company until 1910. Premises altered to become Mellowes & Co. Ltd., Crown Sash Works lead pipe manufacturers from around 1922-1960s (last recorded in the Directories 1961). Kelvin Scrap & Salvage Co. occupied the premises from around 1970s (recorded in the 1971 Directory...

Here is an 1880s map showing the area. Note also the White House that gave its name to Whitehouse Lane..:)

Don Joinery

W Justice

Whiteleys Coaches

Whiteleys sweet Shop

Kenyons

The last name I remember well Howard Kenyon, I went out with his daughter Janet for three years 16-19year old.He sold second hand cars at their property,I virtualy lived at their house in those days,Howard looked after me he fixed me up with some decent cars and serviced and repaired them free gratis,I have fond memories of all the family as a teenager!:love::hihi:

Heyup tuppy,Howards brother was Bill Kenyon ,he was well know in the car business for rebores and pistons and other parts,he was on Devonshire St.Howard had a little place on the end of Rosselle st and he used to have a great selection of vintage bikes which were allus gonna fetch a lot ort watter.

Heyup tuppy,Howards brother was Bill Kenyon ,he was well know in the car business for rebores and pistons and other parts,he was on Devonshire St.Howard had a little place on the end of Rosselle st and he used to have a great selection of vintage bikes which were allus gonna fetch a lot ort watter.

Heyup bullerboy I remember Bill he and Howard worked together at the time I refered to until one day they had a real bustup about something or other!.They both were volatile as brothers sometimes are,it was a humdinger resulting in a parting of the ways as neither would back down!.Howard was mild mannered most of the time but he never suffered fools and as a teenager I respected him for it!.:cool::)

Archived