Who invented the sheffield Fish cake?

hauxwell

Does anyone know who invented the Sheffield Fish Cake? I was born in Newcastle upon Tyne. I remember when I first came here to live my aunt sent me to the fish shop for two fishcakes. I expected them to look like rissoles, which is what you would get in Newcastle if you asked for fish cakes. However I must say I fell in love with the Sheffield Fish Cake. Now that I have retired I am going back to Newcastle to live. I came here when I was 10 years old. My family say I am more yorkie than I am Geordie. They feel I am making a mistake going back to my roots. I will miss the Sheffield Fish Cake and also Sheffield People. Sheffield has a lot to be proud of.

my grandma worked in a chip shop before and during the war. She once told me that in the war they used to make a cake which was two slices of potato with meat spam (?) in the middle then battered. Maybe that was the prototype who knows? :)

Does anyone know who invented the Sheffield Fish Cake? I was born in Newcastle upon Tyne. I remember when I first came here to live my aunt sent me to the fish shop for two fishcakes. I expected them to look like rissoles, which is what you would get in Newcastle if you asked for fish cakes. However I must say I fell in love with the Sheffield Fish Cake. Now that I have retired I am going back to Newcastle to live. I came here when I was 10 years old. My family say I am more yorkie than I am Geordie. They feel I am making a mistake going back to my roots. I will miss the Sheffield Fish Cake and also Sheffield People. Sheffield has a lot to be proud of.

You'll have to get a chippy in Newcastle making Sheffield fish cakes, a stottie cake with pease pudding and a Sheffield fish cake will make a canny combo like.

sell them in Skegness

---------- Post added 08-12-2013 at 22:17 ----------

I did once find a chip shop in Lincoln that sold proper fishcakes, but they called them fritters. If you asked for a fishcake they gave you a rissole. Funny lot in Lincoln....;)

can you remember where?

Archived