Who invented the sheffield Fish cake?

hauxwell

Coming from a family of chip shop owners in Sheffield, Rissoles contain meat, not fish.

Most certain and what meat just about anything left over (bits)mixed in with bread crumbs or wheat ,Now in Leicester they called "Faggots"not sure we can use that term today ,But on my last trip to Leicester in 85 you could still buy them under that name and Rissoles being the same ,my wife being the expert on yucky:gag::gag: food having to dash out on dinner break to the local market

I did once find a chip shop in Lincoln that sold proper fishcakes, but they called them fritters. If you asked for a fishcake they gave you a rissole. Funny lot in Lincoln....;)
There was a chippie in Bridlington near the Greyhound pub that did them, he was from Sheffield, but you had to order them before 10 o clock

the best fishcakes, not rissoles proper fishcakes with 2 pieces of thick potato with a generous piece of fish between them. these fishcakes can be bought at the chip shop on Norwood shops, next to Tesco's. and the one up shirecliffe rd were the old magnet pub used to be. I live in chesterfield and the best place for fish and chips, is jimmy's place on loundsley green shops if you ring up first he will put the fresh cod, haddock, straight in the frer ready in 10 minutes, waiting for you to pick up all fresh and flaky x

I was once told the Sheffield Fishcake was invent many tears ago by Patsy Glossop who ran a fish and chip shop with her husband in the Langsett Road area.

They were excellent and very popular.

She sold them as Fish Patties and always claimed they were named after her.

Maybe the a member of the Glossop family could give us more info.

Happy Days! PopT

Archived