Who invented the sheffield Fish cake?

hauxwell

I did once find a chip shop in Lincoln that sold proper fishcakes, but they called them fritters. If you asked for a fishcake they gave you a rissole. Funny lot in Lincoln....;)

But a rissole is a savoury pattie with its ingredients being minced meat, potato and herbs. Seems to me that Sheffield people don't know the difference between a fishcake and rissole?

---------- Post added 15-12-2013 at 20:40 ----------

could someone give this southerner a clear description of what a fish cake is and what a rissole is, the differences and why its different in Sheffield?

Down south we don't even have fish cakes so I have no idea what you're all on about!

we do have battered sausages though.... do you have them?

(not been in a chippy up here yet)

The fishcake issue in Sheffield will never be resolved. The Dee Dah thinks they invented the fishcake, they didn't ... they are just referred to differently thoughout the UK. Its better just to accept that Dee Dah's will call a fishcake a rissole and leave it a that.

But a rissole is a savoury pattie with its ingredients being minced meat, potato and herbs. Seems to me that Sheffield people don't know the difference between a fishcake and rissole?..
Sheffield people know exactly what a rissole is. See the link in my post #26 - the Oxford and Chambers dictionaries agree that a rissole can be made of fish or meat, and a fish-based rissole is what you get if you ask for one in a Sheffield chippy. Sheffield people also know what a fishcake is - see the description in post #30. But the definition of what is or isn't a fishcake varies from place to place, and the chippy I visited in Lincoln (post #6) referred to its rissoles as fishcakes..:)

Sheffield people know exactly what a rissole is. See the link in my post #26 - the Oxford and Chambers dictionaries agree that a rissole can be made of fish or meat, and a fish-based rissole is what you get if you ask for one in a Sheffield chippy. Sheffield people also know what a fishcake is - see the description in post #30. But the definition of what is or isn't a fishcake varies from place to place, and the chippy I visited in Lincoln (post #6) referred to its rissoles as fishcakes..:)
Spot-on as always, Hillsbro! :thumbsup:

Hi HalimaSagira - Hillsborough doesn't actually have a High Street and I'm not sure where you mean, but any Sheffield chippy will sell you a Sheffield fishcake, and they're delicious!.:) In fact my favourite fishcakes haven't been made for many years. Gordon Booth used to own what is now the TAPLIN CHIPPY on Taplin Road, and he used to mix a little parsley in with the chopped fish. But all Sheffield fishcakes are tasty and nutritious. I could just eat one now!

I said 'high street' because i didnt know what else to call it....

I didnt think it was big enough to be called "hillsborough town centre" but if you go to the centre of hillsborough - where the pretty river bridge is and where the roads meet as a crossroads - theres a pub on the corner ( i think!) and a chip shop.

Never mind - its the only one i have seen so It will have to do.

I'll report back! :)

...the centre of hillsborough - where the pretty river bridge is and where the roads meet as a crossroads..
Hi - that's Hillsborough Corner - I hadn't realised that there was a chip shop there but I haven't been for a while. But the people at any Sheffield chippy know what a proper Sheffield fishcake is..:).By the way, this is how my Grandad would have known Hillsborough Corner. He was regular customer of the Hillsbro Inn on the left, as well as a frequent overnight "guest" at the police station just around the corner..;)

I think you are right about fish offcuts, but some chip shops used a proper slice of fish so they must have been flush.

Remember the friery on arcade just above flat street? They were always minced fish.

Im not sure all fishcakes are nice tbh, some are reallt small and expensive.

Quality of batter and what you fry them in makes a big difference imo. Who can remember the cheapest fishcakes?

Archived