Who invented the sheffield Fish cake?

hauxwell

I know what a sheff cake is,this was like a rissole but done in batter,not breadcrumbs.
No it ain't! A Sheffield (or Yorkshire) fishcake was accurately described and illustrated by Hillsbro in post 30 on Page 2 of this thread. "Wikipedia" agrees - quoted below:

The "Yorkshire fishcake" is a variation traditionally served in many fish and chip shops in South Yorkshire, parts of West Yorkshire and Humberside. It consists of two slices of potato (sometimes parboiled), with offcuts of fish in between, deep fried in batter.

No it ain't! A Sheffield (or Yorkshire) fishcake was accurately described and illustrated by Hillsbro in post 30 on Page 2 of this thread. "Wikipedia" agrees - quoted below:

The "Yorkshire fishcake" is a variation traditionally served in many fish and chip shops in South Yorkshire, parts of West Yorkshire and Humberside. It consists of two slices of potato (sometimes parboiled), with offcuts of fish in between, deep fried in batter.

Bloody heck yes I know it is.

Wikipedia, quoted by Banker: The "Yorkshire fishcake" is a variation traditionally served in many fish and chip shops in South Yorkshire, parts of West Yorkshire and Humberside. It consists of two slices of potato (sometimes parboiled), with offcuts of fish in between, deep fried in batter.

Bloody heck yes I know it is.
But that isn't what you wrote in your post #20, quoted below:
...they used to mash potato and fish make a patty put it in batter and fry..
A Sheffield (or Yorkshire) fishcake has no mashed potato and no mashed fish. The fish is chopped (not mashed) and placed between two slices of whole potato, then battered and fried. What you describe as a "patty" made of mashed potato and fish is a type of fish-based rissole that was evidently fried in batter instead of breadcrumbs like most rissoles.

in the first picture - if you turn your head directly to the right you'd be looking at the chip shop i reckon.

I'm going to go on friday - i'll post a picture!

I think you are on about the Riverside chippy, they should sell a proper Sheffield style fish cake.

Archived