Is homophobia genetic?

I haven't ignored anything.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/bigotry

intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself:

If you insist on continuing to play the dictionary/definition pedant, you'll have to pay closer attention to the fine details...

Homosexuality isn't an opinion, you are a bigot for being intolerant of someone because of their opinion, not their sexuality.

You're claiming a homophobe isn't a bigot...

Bigot;

-a person who is bigoted

so then we look at the definition of that...

Bigoted;

-having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one’s own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others

Most, if not all, homophobes have an irrational dislike of homosexuals. Most, if not all, have an obstinate belief in the superiority of their opinion that homosexuality is 'wrong'.

This would indeed make them bigots.

If you insist on continuing to play the dictionary/definition pedant, you'll have to pay closer attention to the fine details...

Most, if not all, homophobes have an irrational dislike of homosexuals. Most, if not all, have an obstinate belief in the superiority of their opinion that homosexuality is 'wrong'.

Wrong, not necessarily, let's not forget the finger pointers continually redefine homophobia, just as they do racism ..... take name calling .... someone calls someone a name, they take offence .... so now someone is homophobic , ain't that how it works these days :suspect:

Even gay people call each other names !

Wrong, not necessarily, let's not forget the finger pointers continually redefine homophobia, just as they do racism ..... take name calling .... someone calls someone a name, they take offence .... so now someone is homophobic , ain't that how it works these days :suspect:

Even gay people call each other names !

I'm not redefining homophobia, I'm talking about dictionary definitions.

Are you saying they're wrong?

Originally Posted by Oxford Dictionary

Bigoted;

-having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one’s own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others

Again homosexuality isn't an opinion, and your quote says intolerance of the opinions of others, not intolerance of the sexuality of others.

Again homosexuality isn't an opinion, and your quote says intolerance of the opinions of others, not intolerance of the sexuality of others.

Again, you're conveniently ignoring the first part, even though it's been pointed out to you...

Bigoted;

- having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one’s own opinions

and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others

Again, most, if not all, homophobes have an irrational dislike of homosexuals. Most, if not all, have an obstinate belief in the superiority of their opinion that homosexuality is 'wrong'.

EDIT- and most, if not all, have a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others that homosexuality is acceptable

Again, you're conveniently ignoring the first part, even though it's been pointed out to you...

Again, most, if not all, homophobes have an irrational dislike of homosexuals. Most, if not all, have an obstinate belief in the superiority of their opinion that homosexuality is 'wrong'.

EDIT- and most, if not all, have a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others that homosexuality is acceptable

Not at all.

Bigoted;

- having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one’s own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others

If "and" was swapped for or, you would have a point, and means both bits have to apply, its not one or the other.

So someone having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of their own opinions is only a bigot if they are also have a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others. Nothing at all to do with peoples sexuality.

Not at all.

Bigoted;

- having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one’s own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others

If "and" was swapped for or, you would have a point, and means both bits have to apply, its not one or the other.

So someone having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of their own opinions is only a bigot if they are also have a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others. Nothing at all to do with peoples sexuality.

I think you should read my last post again, including the edit I added before you posted this. Your patterns of behaviour are somewhat predictable.

I think you should read my last post again, including the edit I added before you posted this. Your patterns of behaviour are somewhat predictable.

I assume you mean this bit.

So what you are saying now then is that some homophobic people are also bigots.

I don't know any so I couldn't comment, but it is possible.

I assume you mean this bit.

So what you are saying now then is that some homophobic people are also bigots.

I don't know any so I couldn't comment, but it is possible.

No, I'm saying that most, if not all, will be bigots.

If a homophobe is someone who has an irrational and extreme dislike of homosexuals/homosexuality, it is safe to conclude that most, if not all, will be of the opinion (superior, in their mind, due to the extremity/irrationality of their thoughts on the matter) that homosexuality is wrong/unacceptable.

If they are of the irrational opinion that homosexuality is wrong/unacceptable then it is safe to conclude that they will be intolerant (prejudiced by their irrational and extreme aversion) to the opinions that homosexuality is okay/acceptable.

I have met quite a few homophobes and I can comment on them, as above.

No, I'm saying that most, if not all, will be bigots.

If a homophobe is someone who has an irrational and extreme dislike of homosexuals/homosexuality, it is safe to conclude that most, if not all, will be of the opinion (superior, in their mind, due to the extremity/irrationality of their thoughts on the matter) that homosexuality is wrong/unacceptable.

If they are of the irrational opinion that homosexuality is wrong/unacceptable then it is safe to conclude that they will be intolerant (prejudiced by their irrational and extreme aversion) to the opinions that homosexuality is okay/acceptable.

I have met quite a few homophobes and I can comment on them, as above.

Lots of assumptions there, for a while I was thinking you must be an all knowing God, for only he can know the minds of every homophobe, but it turns out you are just guessing. Better luck next time.

Archived