Is homophobia genetic?

Due to the irrational & extreme nature of homophobia though, it would follow logic that a homophobe would believe their opinions on homosexuality to be right and wouldn't accept the differing opinions of others on the matter.

This would indeed make them bigots.

No it wouldn't, most people that have a phobia know that their phobia is irrational, they are unlikely to even consider the opinions of the people they fear, and there is no reason to think they would feel superior. So no, there is no logical to reason to assume that homophobes are also bigots.

No it wouldn't, most people that have a phobia know that their phobia is irrational, they are unlikely to even consider the opinions of the people they fear, and there is no reason to think they would feel superior. So no, there is no logical to reason to assume that homophobes are also bigots.

We're not talking about a fear, go back and try again please

(Some people may see this as a deliberate twisting of words on your part, you wouldn't want that, right?)

I'd like to say that I wasn't expecting such a blatant and transparent dodge, but then I'd be lying.

You know full well that that isn't what I said and it doesn't amount to the same meaning either

This is what I said...

MrSmith/Maxmaximus/Angos, how did I not follow logic?

---------- Post added 14-12-2013 at 21:31 ----------

This factory you work in, what portion of society does it represent?

A whole street?

A city?

A country?

Continent?

By your reasoning, if you have a low crime rate in your work place then the media surely exaggerate levels of crime in society?

The same with politics, if 75% of your workforce were UKIP supporters, surely that'd mean that the media exaggerate support for the 3 main parties?

Tell you what if we are talking reasoning, please give me examples of where you have seen all this homophobia, you keep questioning others in your oh so superior manner, fire away !

I expect the usual answers, "on the internet", "in the Guardian"... blah blah blah :roll:

I'll bet you have been on your PC all night eh, I ventured out myself, not far, the local pubs and the working mens club .... guess what there are gay people, black people, old, middle aged and young people out there and I did not see / hear any homophobia or racism ...... not even a drunken argument or brawl which is far more common !

you keep questioning others in your oh so superior manner, fire away !

I expect the usual answers, "on the internet", "in the Guardian"... blah blah blah :roll:

It's rather telling of you when you disregard the internet with the roll of the eyes. It's the fairly new medium in which racists, bigots and homophobes ply their wares.

At one time they were deemed funny by their contemporaries, now their just seen as morons, even morons don't wish to be labelled morons so they now do it by stealth without a face. Yes, they're all around you tinkering away. Paranoia you may say..nope, it's in Black n White.

I also went out, not a thief, sexual predator, mugger, murderer or pervert in sight..I guess I'll content myself they don't exist.

The difference between racism and homophobia is that one is potentially genetic and the other is not.

If you're a hunter in jungle and a guy from another tribe comes to yours, he could be trying to harm you, steal your land, steal your pigs. Over hundreds of thousands of years...those who were less trusting of outsiders and so didn't get a spear in the neck will have been likelier to pass on their genetic material - such is evolution.

What is not going to threaten the hunter in his tribe is a guy with a shaved head in the next hut dancing around to ABBA in tight hotpants with a pink neckerchief hanging out of his back pocket, there is no...evolutionary advantage to be fearful of that guy.

Therefor I say that racism is mostly learned, but there may be some overhanging fundamental genetic basis for racism in more primitive people...but homophobia is entirely learned.

We're not talking about a fear, go back and try again please

(Some people may see this as a deliberate twisting of words on your part, you wouldn't want that, right?)

We're talking about homophobia.

phobia

an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something:

A phobia is an irrational fear, a kind of anxiety disorder in which the sufferer has a relentless dread of a situation, living creature, place or thing.

Individuals with a phobia go to great lengths to avoid a perceived danger which is much greater in their minds than in real life. If confronted with the source of their phobia, the person will suffer enormous distress, which can interfere with their normal function; it can sometimes lead to total panic. For some people, even thinking about their phobia is immensely distressing.

A phobia starts when a person begins organizing their lives around avoiding the object of their fear. A phobia is much more serious than a simple fear. Sufferers have an overpowering need to steer clear of anything which triggers their anxiety.

Phobias and survival - there may be evolutionary explanations to many phobias. In prehistoric environments, remaining in wide open spaces would have increased the risk of being attacked and eaten by a predatory animal. The instinct of staying at home, especially for young children, aids survival.

Young children in their caves and huts would have had to rapidly learn to avoid dangerous snakes and spiders.

Social phobia may have been a useful survival instinct during ancient and prehistoric times. Being among people you do not know, from perhaps another tribe, was much more dangerous than finding yourself among a crowd of strangers in a shopping mall today.

---------- Post added 15-12-2013 at 07:49 ----------

Previous research has shown that many heterosexuals hold negative attitudes toward homosexuals and homosexuality (homophobia). Although a great deal of research has focused on the profile of homophobic individuals, this research provides little theoretical insight into the aetiology of homophobia. To examine genetic and environmental influences on variation in attitudes toward homophobia, we analysed data from 4,688 twins who completed a questionnaire concerning sexual behaviour and attitudes, including attitudes toward homosexuality. Results show that, in accordance with literature, males have significantly more negative attitudes toward homosexuality than females and non-heterosexuals are less homophobic than heterosexuals. In contrast with some earlier findings, age had no significant effect on the homophobia scores in this study. Genetic modelling showed that variation in homophobia scores could be explained by additive genetic (36%), shared environmental (18%) and unique environmental factors (46%). However, corrections based on previous findings show that the shared environmental estimate may be almost entirely accounted for as extra additive genetic variance arising from assortative mating for homophobic attitudes. The results suggest that variation in attitudes toward homosexuality is substantially inherited, and that social environmental influences are relatively minor.

phobia

A phobia is an irrational fear, a kind of anxiety disorder in which the sufferer has a relentless dread of a situation, living creature, place or thing.

Individuals with a phobia go to great lengths to avoid a perceived danger which is much greater in their minds than in real life. If confronted with the source of their phobia, the person will suffer enormous distress, which can interfere with their normal function; it can sometimes lead to total panic. For some people, even thinking about their phobia is immensely distressing.

A phobia starts when a person begins organizing their lives around avoiding the object of their fear. A phobia is much more serious than a simple fear. Sufferers have an overpowering need to steer clear of anything which triggers their anxiety.

Phobias and survival - there may be evolutionary explanations to many phobias. In prehistoric environments, remaining in wide open spaces would have increased the risk of being attacked and eaten by a predatory animal. The instinct of staying at home, especially for young children, aids survival.

Young children in their caves and huts would have had to rapidly learn to avoid dangerous snakes and spiders.

Social phobia may have been a useful survival instinct during ancient and prehistoric times. Being among people you do not know, from perhaps another tribe, was much more dangerous than finding yourself among a crowd of strangers in a shopping mall today.

Previous research has shown that many heterosexuals hold negative attitudes toward homosexuals and homosexuality (homophobia). Although a great deal of research has focused on the profile of homophobic individuals, this research provides little theoretical insight into the aetiology of homophobia. To examine genetic and environmental influences on variation in attitudes toward homophobia, we analysed data from 4,688 twins who completed a questionnaire concerning sexual behaviour and attitudes, including attitudes toward homosexuality. Results show that, in accordance with literature, males have significantly more negative attitudes toward homosexuality than females and non-heterosexuals are less homophobic than heterosexuals. In contrast with some earlier findings, age had no significant effect on the homophobia scores in this study. Genetic modelling showed that variation in homophobia scores could be explained by additive genetic (36%), shared environmental (18%) and unique environmental factors (46%). However, corrections based on previous findings show that the shared environmental estimate may be almost entirely accounted for as extra additive genetic variance arising from assortative mating for homophobic attitudes. The results suggest that variation in attitudes toward homosexuality is substantially inherited, and that social environmental influences are relatively minor.

From the link - ''many heterosexuals hold negative attitudes toward homosexuals and homosexuality (homophobia)''.

You seem to have shot yourself in the foot rather.

---------- Post added 15-12-2013 at 08:57 ----------

From the link - ''many heterosexuals hold negative attitudes toward homosexuals and homosexuality (homophobia)''.

Re the bold - yes there is. From the piece you linked to.

Not really, because it isn't something I have argued against and I posted that full sentence above, but being a troll you just pick the bits that suit your trolling.

Previous research has shown that many heterosexuals hold negative attitudes toward homosexuals and homosexuality (homophobia). Although a great deal of research has focused on the profile of homophobic individuals, this research provides little theoretical insight into the aetiology of homophobia.

This is the full sentence, now read the rest.

phobia

Cool story.

None of it relates to the question I asked though and in no way answers it.

Not only that, you've spammed a whole load of bumf about phobias, not homophobia. If you're going argue so much about definitions then we should stick to the correct definition, as provided by yourself earlier...

Definition Homophobia; An extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.

So, once again (again)...

Getting back to homophobia, you could argue that someone with a rational & non-extreme aversion to homosexuals/homosexuality might not be a bigot, they might not believe that their opinions on homosexuality are superior and they may be open to other peoples' opinions on the matter.

Due to the irrational & extreme nature of homophobia though, it would follow logic that a homophobe would believe their opinions on homosexuality to be right and wouldn't accept the differing opinions of others on the matter.

This would indeed make them bigots.

MrSmith/Maxmaximus/Angos, how did I not follow logic?

(I think at this point it's pretty obvious you don't have an answer or you would have given it pages ago. I'm guessing, from experience, that the huge copy/pastes above are intended to be the point where you say "I've already answered, you just don't understand it" or "I've already answered, I can't help it if it's not what you want to hear" etc, even though, as shown, they do not answer anything)

Archived