Is homophobia genetic?

But being intolerant of them because of their opinion does.

So you are not a bigot if you are willing to allow the existence of opinions or behavior that you do not necessarily agree with.

He didn't demonstrate any intolerance.

Tolerance does not mean having to accept an opinion or agree with it, it certainly doesn't mean having to allow behaviour you don't agree with.

"Willing to allow the existence of opinions or behaviour" ?

Don't you ever get tired of twisting things MrSmith/Maxmaximus/angos?

How is quoting the dictionary twisting things Troll?

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 13:04 ----------

He didn't demonstrate any intolerance.

Tolerance does not mean having to accept an opinion or agree with it, it certainly doesn't mean having to allow behaviour you don't agree with.

Bigot, intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself:

Intolerance, unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behaviour that differ from one’s own:

Tolerance the ability or willingness to tolerate the existence of opinions or behaviour that one dislikes or disagrees with:

Tolerate, allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) without interference:

So (for example), someone who doesn't believe that slavery is acceptable is a bigot if they refuse to accept the contrary opinion that slavery is acceptable?

By refusing to accept my opinion that you are wrong, you've become a bigot.

The definition you are attempting to create is meaningless.

As a society we refuse to 'tolerate' all kinds of things, murder for example. So are you claiming that all of society is bigoted because they refuse to allow murderers to murder?

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 13:10 ----------

I've quoted this for you several times, but you refer instead to a definition of bigot that appears to come from a flawed or childs dictionary.

bigoted

ˈbɪgətɪd/Submit

adjective

having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others.

The key word here that refutes your attempted definition of all disagreement as bigotry being "prejudiced".

You seem to be demanding the right to have your opinion go unchallenged, but in the process of that demand you are challenging someone elses opinion that your opinion is wrong.

Can you see the hypocrisy in that?

How is quoting the dictionary twisting things Troll?

Because Cyclone was talking about intolerance, not tolerance. Thanks for the insult.

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 14:01 ----------

The key word here that refutes your attempted definition of all disagreement as bigotry being "prejudiced".

Don't forget "obstinate"

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 14:02 ----------

Angos, could you explain exactly how myself and others here are bigots (as you keep claiming) ?

So (for example), someone who doesn't believe that slavery is acceptable is a bigot if they refuse to accept the contrary opinion that slavery is acceptable?

By refusing to accept my opinion that you are wrong, you've become a bigot.

I accept your right to hold an opinion, I don't think my opinion is superior to your opinion, but I don't agree with your opinion.

accept, consent to receive, tolerate or submit to (something unpleasant or undesired): Very different to agree, (have the same opinion about something; concur:)

The definition you are attempting to create is meaningless.

I didn't define the words, I have simply quoted the definition from the oxford dictionary.

As a society we refuse to 'tolerate' all kinds of things, murder for example.

Murder isn't an opinion.

So are you claiming that all of society is bigoted because they refuse to allow murderers to murder?
No, murder isn't an opinion, so being intolerant of murder isn't bigoted.

I've quoted this for you several times, but you refer instead to a definition of bigot that appears to come from a flawed or childs dictionary.

You can hold whatever opinion you like on the oxford dictionary.

Having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others.

prejudice

preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience:

As you couldn't possibly know if someone's opinion is based on reason or actual experience, you wouldn't be able to determine if someone is a bigot.

You seem to be demanding the right to have your opinion go unchallenged, but in the process of that demand you are challenging someone elses opinion that your opinion is wrong.

Can you see the hypocrisy in that?

No that's just your mind playing tricks on you, or a deliberate attempt to provoke me, making the point not worthy of discussion.

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 15:15 ----------

Because Cyclone was talking about intolerance, not tolerance. Thanks for the insult.

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 14:01 ----------

Don't forget "obstinate"

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 14:02 ----------

Angos, could you explain exactly how myself and others here are bigots (as you keep claiming) ?

Its just my opinion of you, which is based on what I perceive to be your intolerance of other people, because of their opinion.

Its also my opinion that you are a troll, which is based on you constantly trying to provoke other members into an emotional response.

You've gone off into your own little world with the definition game now, where no reality exists.

I accept your right to hold an opinion, I don't think my opinion is superior to your opinion, but I don't agree with your opinion.

accept, consent to receive Very different to agree.

From your own source...

"receive as adequate, valid, or suitable"

Murder isn't an opinion.

From your source...

"not tolerant of views, beliefs, or behaviour that differ from one’s own"

prejudice

preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience:

As you couldn't possibly know if someone's opinion is based on reason or actual experience, you wouldn't be able to determine if someone is a bigot.

From your source...

"dislike, hostility, or unjust behaviour deriving from preconceived and unfounded opinions"

Its just my opinion of you, which is based on what I perceive to be your intolerance of other people, because of their opinion.

Its also my opinion that you are a troll, which is based on you constantly trying to provoke other members into an emotional response.

If you're going to insist on playing your silly dictionary definitions game you should do it right, according to your source, a bigot has an intolerance of opinions, not people (although this isn't a strict limitation, you do insist on playing by the exact definition, when it suits you of course)

You've gone off into your own little world with the definition game now, where no reality exists.

From your own source...

"receive as adequate, valid, or suitable"

You do understand that some words have multiple meaning, this doesn't mean that all the meanings apply at the same time.

From your source...

"not tolerant of views, beliefs, or behaviour that differ from one’s own"

The word we are discussing is Bigot not tolerant.

intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself: Not intolerance towards behaviour.

If you're going to insist on playing your silly dictionary definitions game you should do it right, according to your source, a bigot has an intolerance of opinions, not people (although this isn't a strict limitation, you do insist on playing by the exact definition, when it suits you of course)

Yes that is what I have said many time, but sadly because you are a troll you keep disagreeing.

And the more you play your troll games the more other members will see you for the troll you are.

You do understand that some words have multiple meaning, this doesn't mean that all the meanings apply at the same time.

Except that you seem to be denying these other meanings

..see?

The word we are discussing is Bigot not tolerant.

intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself: Not intolerance towards behaviour.

Then why give the definition of bigotry?

This is the definition of Bigot, according to your source...

Bigot;

-a person who is bigoted

Bigoted;

-having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one’s own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others

Yes that is what I have said many time, but sadly because you are a troll you keep disagreeing.

And the more you play your troll games the more other members will see you for the troll you are.

Can you show where I've disagreed with that?

Except that you seem to be denying these other meanings

..see?

Then why give the definition of bigotry?

This is the definition of Bigot, according to your source...

Can you show where I've disagreed with that?

Thats right, being intolerant of murder isn't bigoted, because murder isn't an opinion.

Archived