Is homophobia genetic?

I read an interesting article the other day but I'm damned if I can find it again. The idea put forward by the author was that if being gay or lesbian is a natural thing i.e the individual knew from an early age that they were gay or lesbian, is it not right to assume that being homophobic could be the same? Instead of being a learned response could it be a natural inbuilt feeling?

As a society we are becoming more tolerant of social trends that used to be deemed abnormal.Homosexuality was illegal less than 50 years ago. So either society changes us as we change society or our genes are changing. Id guess not having read the article that some reactionary old fart has put forward the theory about genes determining homophobia to give some pseudo-scientific justification for their own bigotry.

But homophobia isn't a real phobia, same as arachnophobia isn't being afraid of people who like spiders.

Homophobia is simply bigotry, and as such a cultural construct.

Not according to this.

Definition Homophobia; An extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.

Definition phobia; an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something:

Not according to this.

Definition Homophobia; An extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.

Definition phobia; an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something:

Poor Angos, stumped by the English language again.

Homophobia is an intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself. Guess what else has that definition?

Homophobia is an intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.

It really isn't. Unless you want them to rewrite the meaning in the dictionary?

You're about to play the "angos" game.

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 18:23 ----------

We don't all communicate in dictionary terms.

We've noticed, some of you just invent new meanings to words that already have accepted meanings.

Archived