Domino's pizza's - We need more immigrants to fill jobs.

I think all this "immigrants do jobs because our young wont take them" is a situation artificially created to keep wages low, immigrants who do these jobs are usually transient so do the work for a short time whilst sending money "back home", our young have much higher (and ever increasing) living costs so these low paid jobs are virtually useless.

This is perhaps one of the reasons why immigration largely carries on limitless.

As usual we slate our young for being idle etc and the government wins another battle.

The rate of pay at Domino's is probably not a lot, not enough for a native Brit to live well on in this country, so not a great deal of incentive to do it, whereas to an eastern European, who may or may not be planning to stay here permanently, it is a good wage.

How can you argue that the Minimum wage for under 25s, living at home, is not better than getting just £56.80 a week on the dole?

Well....Once upon a time, I did a part time job at Dominoes Pizza. To earn some extra money. They pay as little money as they can possibly get away with. It's the only job I've ever had the sack from for being too old! There's a threshold where the minimum wage for younger workers is less than for an adult. Of course I was on the 'adult' scale. Not that was a lot different, but they openly admitted to me, it was cheaper to employ 'kids' than an adult, because they didn't have to pay the full minimum wage rate.

They're now complaining that they can't get staff! It's no sodding wonder!!!

There's a threshold where the minimum wage for younger workers is less than for an adult. Of course I was on the 'adult' scale. Not that was a lot different, but they openly admitted to me, it was cheaper to employ 'kids' than an adult, because they didn't have to pay the full minimum wage rate.

As you state, the full minimum wage for an adult is more than for the youth, hence why they wanted youngsters.

But they have to pay the minimum rate for the under 25s regardless of ethnicity.

What parent wouldn't want their child out the house working all day?

I think all this "immigrants do jobs because our young wont take them" is a situation artificially created to keep wages low, immigrants who do these jobs are usually transient so do the work for a short time whilst sending money "back home", our young have much higher (and ever increasing) living costs so these low paid jobs are virtually useless.

This is perhaps one of the reasons why immigration largely carries on limitless.

As usual we slate our young for being idle etc and the government wins another battle.

Why should our young have higher living costs than a young worker from any other country.?

Their greed and aspirations may be higher but the basic living requirements are identical.

I can live just as easily/hard as any one on my £71.40 JSA - what i can't do is fund a large house,new car,iphone5 and xbox 450 but then again neither can anyone else.

How can you argue that the Minimum wage for under 25s, living at home, is not better than getting just £56.80 a week on the dole?

You're assuming a 40 hour week at minimum wage? I doubt that most people working at Domino's are full time.

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 13:29 ----------

Why should our young have higher living costs than a young worker from any other country.?

Their greed and aspirations may be higher but the basic living requirements are identical.

I can live just as easily/hard as any one on my £71.40 JSA - what i can't do is fund a large house,new car,iphone5 and xbox 450 but then again neither can anyone else.

After paying out for essentials I don't think a car, an iphone 5 and xbox etc, (if those particular things appeal to you) are too much to ask in return for hard graft, you need something to show for it.

You're assuming a 40 hour week at minimum wage? I doubt that most people working at Domino's are full time.

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 13:29 ----------

After paying out for essentials I don't think a car, an iphone 5 and xbox etc, (if those particular things appeal to you) are too much to ask in return for hard graft, you need something to show for it.

Perhaps not but they're a luxury not a neccessity.

and especially when you're young you can't expect to have all of them on a minimum wage.

Mainly because owning and running a car is an expensive business, and has been for a long while.

Mind you now you can spend £500 on a phone, and £400+ on the new Xbox they're hardly a cheap was to pass time now as well.

As I said the immigrant workers are usually working on a short term basis to earn a few bob to send back home and living in sub standard accamodation while they are here, thats ok in the short term.

As I said the immigrant workers are usually working on a short term basis to earn a few bob to send back home and living in sub standard accamodation while they are here, thats ok in the short term.
It's not. Really.

Because long-term:

• the corresponding earnings/wages are not spent into the national economy as disposable income,
  • of which there is ever-less around, because ever more low-skilled jobs are turned into under-25 minimum wage jobs;
  • wages at that level are increasingly subsidised by the taxpayers,
  • of which there are ever less, because corporate taxation of the employer yeilds just about sweet FA; the Gvt is reducing the tax burden on low- to middle- income earners; and middle high- to top income earners are getting creative to escape the correspondingly-increasing burden (who do you think pays for the shortfall?)

The list of ill-effects goes on. It's a vicious circle, and it has only one outcome at term: socio-economic breakdown.

And that's from a reactionary, baby-eating capitalist right winger, not much in the way of lefty social do-gooding flufiness here.

Archived