Happy materialistic Christmas?

<bah-humbug>
And a Merry Christmas to you too! :thumbsup::hihi:

What with all the "reconstructed families" on my Mrs' side, friends who always get us a little something so we get a little something for them too, presents for our 9 yr old daughter (who only asked Santa for pens, A3 paper, a tub of Haribos, a tub of Heroes and a 1000-pieces puzzle (<tearing up here>) but who will do a little bit better ;)), etc. - it's an expensive affair by the time we're done (we get presents for nearly 30 people), so there's little overhead left for 'nice things' between us.

So, nothing 'most expensive' and nothing to 'brag about', far from it.

And (IMHO) it's nothing to do with materialism, it's upholding an ancient tradition: it's the spirit and giving that counts, not how exclusive/expensive/shiny/etc. the presents are :rolleyes:

That annoying and increasingly selfish event that starts from late summer? Buy the most expensive, and brag?

We are almost duty-bound to conform to banal convention and the endless, brainwashing TV advert stereotypes. Not to mention the cutthroat dash to grab the entire shop's stock of milk and bread?

In this arguably now secular country, should we just have done with it and just be utterly given up to the new gods, sickening materialism and shallow bling?

And to hell with the millions of people suffering abuse, starvation and extreme loneliness?

It doesn't have to be like that, it's what you make it.

We don't buy presents any more. We have a family agreement to give the money saved to charity.

I agree, though, that rampant consumerism takes over if you let it.

I spend only what i can afford.

Last year my daughter got spoilt rotten (my choice) I bought her a samsung 3 £450 and £150 for Boxing day sales.

My son got about £400 (which included his birthday money/xmas week)

Not so flush this time round,so i will spend 2/3rds less.

My kids will be quite happy with this.

I spend only what I can afford.
Wise words, and same here.

We save/budget throughout the year for it, and I keep a spreadsheet for the purpose (:blush:), so we know who to get what for how much.

I'm aware that makes it a bit cold and 'by-the-numbers', admittedly...but then we have a lot to buy for, and it's anything but a chore.

Some years, if either of use has enough spare time, we'll handcraft presents instead or as well as. I've done several paintings for family and friends, and my Mrs has knitted miles and miles of wool into stuff over the years. e.g. this year, 10 'reindeer' Christmas hats for family & friends when we all went to pick our Xmas trees as a group.

Presents for presents sake. People buy without thinking. It's instilled in us from birth.

I don't think it is

It's what you make of it, I won't be getting more than a few small gifts, but will be happy with the time I'll be spending with my family.

I agree

I don't think it is

I agree

I don't. Christmas is all about getting expensive presents if you ask me ... the more expensive, the more you love someone :P

If my girlfriend's reading this on her day off ... it'd better be on your mobile phone whilst in the John Lewis electrical department ... go to the far end where the 4G telly's are, I'll save you some time! ;)

What's wrong in bringing a little happiness to the people you care about?
You're obviously not caring about the right people, WeX. Cop on :rant:

:D

I think some people LOOK for the bad in EVERYTHING so they have something to moan about.
OR they may well be one and the same...chem1st, erebus, <etc.> ;)

That annoying and increasingly selfish event that starts from late summer? Buy the most expensive, and brag?

We are almost duty-bound to conform to banal convention and the endless, brainwashing TV advert stereotypes. Not to mention the cutthroat dash to grab the entire shop's stock of milk and bread?

In this arguably now secular country, should we just have done with it and just be utterly given up to the new gods, sickening materialism and shallow bling?

And to hell with the millions of people suffering abuse, starvation and extreme loneliness?

Not really. Might be what it means to you but we all have a different take on it. Why dont you worry about your own type of christmas and let other people enjoy theirs?

Archived