Is Racism wired into you genetically ?

Yes

Of cause we are, otherwise we would all be at it with our family members, but we are also attracted to people that are genetically similar to us and the further apart we are genetically, the less likely we are to be attracted.

---------- Post added 11-12-2013 at 17:43 ----------

Scientists said yesterday that they have discovered a tiny genetic mutation that largely explains the first appearance of white skin in humans tens of thousands of years ago, a finding that helps solve one of biology's most enduring mysteries and illuminates one of humanity's greatest sources of strife.

The work suggests that the skin-whitening mutation occurred by chance in a single individual after the first human exodus from Africa, when all people were brown-skinned. That person's offspring apparently thrived as humans moved northward into what is now Europe, helping to give rise to the lightest of the world's races.

Racism is a learned behaviour.

---------- Post added 11-12-2013 at 17:46 ----------

There simply is no evidence to support the idea that we have some instinctive dislike for people of a different colour though.

Quite so. There are those who'd wish otherwise though and they're on this very thread.

Interesting point, mankind worked out long ago the relationship between diversity in the gene pool and future survival. If we're attracted to people of similar appearance it's because of cultural/social influences rather than a pre-disposition which would encourage the opposite.

The evidence suggest otherwise, and similar appearance doesn't mean genetically identical.

Just as an example, caucasians who live in sunny climates experience a high incidence of malignant melanomas, whereas dark skinned people don't. It's probably not hard to imagine that over time, environmental conditions might dictate who lived and who died.

Thats correct, its probably one of the reason people instinctively selected a mate of similar appearance.

Do you really believe this Super Hans?

I think people who choose who they sit next to on a bus based on their ethnicity have a personality disorder whatever colour they are.

Its unlikely to be a conscious decision.

---------- Post added 11-12-2013 at 18:10 ----------

Refer us to it then.

I might present you with some more if you provide some evidence to support your stance that it is a learned behavior.

The evidence suggest otherwise, and similar appearance doesn't mean genetically identical.
The evidence suggests people are pre-disposed to be attracted to people who look similar rather than it being cultural/social influences?

Thats correct, its probably one of the reason people instinctively selected a mate of similar appearance.

Not sure you read my statement as I intended it, the point Im making is the opposite of what you're saying.

---------- Post added 11-12-2013 at 18:11 ----------

But it's nothing to do with yr skin colour!

Wasn't in her case either :D

Thanks for the response and the link Angos. It's v v interesting. I struggle with the thought that one mutation occurred though, and that person ended up being the predecessor of all white people as 'Lucy' is iften seen as the mother of humankind. The mutation did occur, I see now, as you rightly said in the first place but I still believe that skin colour changed gradually in the population over generations and as lighter skin proved to be more beenficial in Northern climes. The genetic mutation is not necessarily the cause of white skinned people today.

If 1000 white people moved to a very sun-exposed environment (and had no access to sun cream) and were isolated natural selection tells us that over generations they would become darker and darker as they adapted to their new environment. Anyway, I'm still disagreeing with you as you can see re the reasons for white skin developing over time but have really enjoyed yr contributions.

Archived