New landline connection

Hi

I am moving house in a week or so, and the new house has the landline cable coming into the house via the stairs window, then a cable extension to a bedroom and the bottom of the stairs.

Anyone have any experience of getting a new cable?? Surely they can do better than having the cable enter the house on the wrong side, and then a cable down the stairs?

No they don't, in fact BT did ours for free this year.

I took a set of wire-cutters to all the cable, ripped all the extensions out of the wall and signed up for a new BT contract saying we didn't have a BT line in the house.

BT were doing an 'offer' where connection was free, they popped round and ran a new piece of cable from the telegraph pole to the house and put a new socket into the room of my choice.

No they don't, in fact BT did ours for free this year.

I will have to look into that. Looking at the other houses, all the lines go into the rear of the houses, because that is where the teph poles are.

But if I could get a new line going into the kitchen, where I have 13amp sockets for some sort of hub.

Is that how these hubs work?

You mean you don't have any normal sockets anywhere else in the house :suspect::suspect:

I wouild assume that the previous tenants did not go online. The line comes in via the stairs window, and is then split, with one cable going into a bedroom and the other just going down the stairs. That is the only socket downstairs, maybe a phone on the wall at the bottom of the stairs.

Just hope that I didnt lock myself into a contract for the landline ;)

I want a wireles hub in the kitchen, its the only place on that side of the house with a 13 amp plug socket. Do hubs work with any telephone company, I know BT do them.

Openreach are obliged to site the master socket where you want it , within reason of course. The engineer will be hoping the customer just says nothing and accepts it as it is, but just say " I want it behind the TV etc" and they have to do it. Like Geared says, it probably a good idea to cut the cable outside, then they won't have much choice.

You can get a new line with new number installed for £24 by a BT Openreach engineer through my company which might be easier. Then just cancel the existing line and rip it out.

PM me if you are interested and want more detail

You can get a new line with new number installed for £24 by a BT Openreach engineer through my company which might be easier. Then just cancel the existing line and rip it out.

PM me if you are interested and want more detail

I have just emailed my phone provider(New Call Telecoms), but I will let you know. Just checked by bills from them, really odd, £1.67 in June, then £12.24, £35.04, £41.17, £2.56, November = £3.83

I dont check my bills very often ;)

Archived