FM radio switch off.

Just coming in to town this morning listening to Beeb. They say that the FM radio band is to be shut down in 2015.

I'm not sure how that will work. Certainly my car radio won't work any more.

Digital radio is OK and a better sound quality, but I can never get to grips with time signals that are never on time and vary depending on signal quality that day.

A few small FM stations also a bit upset as they say they cannot afford to go digital.

Can't see that happening, DAB should be better quality, it isn't in this country anyhow, some stations only broadcast in mono for a start, OK for speech/talk radio, but music?

The 'bit rate' transmission of some is low, well below a standard mp3 quality,

DAB is better than medium wave or AM as it's now known, granted, but FM on hi-fi sound quality surpasses it.

And as you state, signal drift is also still an issue, I say that as an owner of 3 DAB radio's

Also it's not great in cars, I'm lead to believe, can't say on that score having never had an in car dab, but I can see issues on that, re signal drop out, where FM may go slightly 'fizzy', DAB just goes off.

DAB is better than medium wave or AM as it's now known, granted, but FM on hi-fi sound quality surpasses it.

It certainly has a warmth and depth that DAB lacks.

I've gone back to buying vinyl and am very pleased to say that, according to a member of staff at HMV in Meadowhall, they're creating more space due to the demand for vinyl.

As for FM, I hope the powers-that-be have a change of heart.

Until they sort out DAB there's no chance of switching off FM.

The signal strength in DAB is rubbish, and the quality just isn't there.

There's no point going to the trouble of switching off FM for what is only a very slight increase in quality for DAB.

Yep, although you can buy converter jobbies for many cars now.

but then you know how manufacturers love to add every little bit as an 'extra' just to charge more for it.

You remember back in the 90's when BMW didn't even include a radio as standard???

It certainly has a warmth and depth that DAB lacks.

I've gone back to buying vinyl and am very pleased to say that, according to a member of staff at HMV in Meadowhall, they're creating more space due to the demand for vinyl.

As for FM, I hope the powers-that-be have a change of heart.

Hipster.

This is you.

Archived