US drone kills 13 wedding guests in Yemen

Not really, when you count how many muslims they are in the world, suicide bombers are extremely very very rare.

They are murders commited over here, maybe not suicide bombing but still there is people murdering people but that doesnt make everybody in the west killers does it ?

I think it's fairly clear that Al Qaida, arguably the figurehead for all Islamist violence / terrorism against the West, are striving for a world-wide war that they hope will lead to the destruction of non-believers.

When we see Islamist terrorism apologists often say it's in response to the acts of the West. But to what purpose? To remove Western influence from predominantly Muslim countries? For fairness? For equality? Perhaps all of these, but Al Qaida inspired violence exists to create fear and hostility between religions and therefore further conflict.

I agree that there are some Muslim communities that are oppressed (Palestine, for example) and they need support. But once again, what is it that Hamas want? Is it peace or is it the destruction of Israel? I believe it's the destruction of Israel and the banishment of all Jewish people from their lands. If Muslims / Al Qaida / Hamas really wanted peace and an end to oppression they only have to look to three giants of the last century - Gandhi, Dr King, Mandela, who fought and beat their oppressors through non-violent action and protest.

Instead, they respond to (perceived) oppression with terror and this serves their goals very poorly indeed if peace and fairness is what they're after.

If Indians, black Americans and black South Africans can turn the other cheek and let go of their justifiable anger in the interests of long-lasting peace then Muslims should be able to do this too. Instead, there are suicide bombings, etc which, a) suggests it's not peace they want but a continuation of violence, and b) they lose a lot of sympathy from people who might their cause is just. This is why I find it hard to accept the argument that Islamic acts of violence are justified as acts if revenge. These acts serve only to continue the circle of violence.

Also, when Shiites and Sunnis are blowing the hell out of each other it just gives lie to the concept if a global Ummah.

So, Muslim communities need stronger leaders who are able to advocate the laying down of arms and instead picking up banners. I swear, one photo of a Muslim woman in a burka placing a flower down the barrel of an IDF soldiers rifle will go found the world in hours and do more for their cause than any number of violent acts. But, we don't get this 'cos it's not peace that is wanted, but instead, the destruction of all non-Muslims.

Indeed, and don't forget that Islam isn't a nationality it is a religion. There are many who are unable to see that and regard non muslims as outsiders in Islamic countries. The problem is exponents of intolerant religions like Islam seek to impose their doctine on others. In many countries Muslims brainwash their own from birth. They persecute or murder descenters . They repress their own polpulations and will often harbour terrorist elements within their community knowing that they will perform terrorist acts in the name of their religion around the world.

---------- Post added 13-12-2013 at 11:58 ----------

You have hit the nail on the head here :clap:

Certainly did.

---------- Post added 13-12-2013 at 12:00 ----------

Not really, when you count how many muslims they are in the world, suicide bombers are extremely very very rare.

They are like the Kamikazis. Most only do it once.

If Indians, black Americans and black South Africans can turn the other cheek and let go of their justifiable anger in the interests of long-lasting peace then Muslims should be able to do this too.

What about Caucasians? (I only mention colour because you have incidentally).

After all the thread is about Muslim victims of American drone attacks, yet once again has been subverted into a discussion about what Muslims should or shouldn't do.

Remember Bush's histrionics post 9/11 and the collective blood baying by the west?

I think, BF, that what I'm saying is those in power don't respond to aggression from those that don't have power. Israel, USA et Al will never change policy in response to terror. They will, however, change policy in response to worldwide public opinion - and public opinion can be changed by non-violent protest.

Not sure I understand yr ref to colour. These threads often go off at a tangent - I'm comfortable that I didn't take it too far off track.

Regards,

D

Are you condemning the majority by the actions of a few there BF :suspect:

No, Im pointing out an example of non Muslims not 'turning the other cheek' and in particular an individual who at the time was the most militarily powerful human being in the world-it weren't Mandela rattling a few sabres from a prison cell :)

Ps - back in 01 I wasn't baying for blood but I was terrified that Bush would lead an all out attack on Afghanistan that would suck in other countries and then WW3. I gave a tendency to over-react sometimes. As for my feelings I remember being scared outraged. If I was angry I can't remember that emotion.

Edit: I must have been angry, thinking about it. I don't remember being so but I must have been. I remember being scared and considering keeping my son off school in case he faced any violent backlash; and I too, was very careful about where I went in case people randomly starting attacking people of colour in revenge.

Yes but no one bothers to see/pay attention what the reasons are for attacks by these 'Islamists'.

All these are linked to foreign policy as Robert Pape's excellent work documented.

I don't like the foreign policies of many countries, but It hasn't turned me into a terrorist, in fact it doesn't turn many people into terrorists, unless you are Muslim of cause.

What about Caucasians? (I only mention colour because you have incidentally).

After all the thread is about Muslim victims of American drone attacks, yet once again has been subverted into a discussion about what Muslims should or shouldn't do.

Isnt this inevitable? Although the victims are unfortunate innocents, then there would have been no drones there if it wasnt for the actions of 9/11 a a select group of muslims using religion as the reason for their behaviour.

I always find it odd that such events get high coverage whereas muslims killing muslims seems to be ignored. I feel sorry for the majority of ordinary people who suffer, but just want to live a peaceful and better life.

I think, BF, that what I'm saying is those in power don't respond to aggression from those that don't have power. Israel, USA et Al will never change policy in response to terror. They will, however, change policy in response to worldwide public opinion - and public opinion can be changed by non-violent protest.
I'm still struggling with this, the west's activities in the east are no better than state sponsored terrorism and I think it's understandable (not condoning) why people might get upset by it, especially those on the receiving end.

Personally, Ive no time for Muslim extremists but I'm not going to pretend that everything is sweetness and light on our side either. Public opinion is most effectively swayed when people are prepared to put their hands up and admit their own failings-that was Mandela's approach even though he never advocated non violence. We (the west) have consistently been in denial about our reasons for being in Afghanistan and interfering generally in world affairs, perhaps it's time for those with the biggest guns to take a lead in influencing public opinion positively?

Not sure I understand yr ref to colour.

You mentioned black Americans and black South Africans, I've learnt I have to be careful here when mentioning white folks because some posters take grave exception to it, so I was clarifying why I used the term.

Archived