Rude, or just having fun?

Some weeks ago I booked a seat in the quiet coach on an evening train to London from Leeds. I boarded, looking forward to a peaceful journey and a quiet read of my book, after a hard week's work. Six women also boarded in Leeds having had a drink (or three and in very high spirits). There were 12 other (non-quiet) coaches they could have sat in but they chose to sit in the quiet coach. They proceeded to shriek, laugh, make calls on their mobiles and swear loudly for the next 35 minutes. When other passengers asked them to be quiet, they just cackled and giggled and said 'Shhhhhh' in a noisy, tipsy sort of way.

They got off in Wakefield (fortunately), verbally abusing everyone who'd asked them to be quiet. The lad opposite us thought they were just having a good time and said we were 'miserable' for complaining. He said, it's public transport. If you want to be quiet, go in your car.

Is it unreasonable to expect a quiet coach to be quiet?

One thing I have learnt over the years.Never try and reason with a drunkard/s.

Total waste of time.

It's totally reasonable. And there aren't enough quiet coaches. Talking on the phone and playing music or DVDs so anyone else can hear them should be banned on all public transport except for one designated "noisy coach" on long trains.

Maybe the OP didn't move as she had reserved a seat in what should have been a quiet space, and couldn't bank on getting a seat elsewhere.

Yes, that's precisely why I didn't move. Ironically, however, the other 'noisy' coaches were probably quieter than the one I was in!

I agree, there should be more quiet coaches, especially on long distance trains, and the guards should be much more proactive about pointing out the restrictions as people get into the coach. The irritating women I had to put up with didn't have a clue. I honestly don't think they understood the concept of a quiet coach - they just stumbled into the first one they came to and carried on having a good time (to everyone else's detriment, of course).

I wonder whether as the world gets generally noisier (and it is), people's noise tolerance threshold increases? The problem is, mine hasn't. Peace and quiet are very hard to find, apart from in your own home. Cinemas and even theatres these days seem to attract mobile-phone-checking, camera-touting, whispering, nattering, sweet-wrapper-rustling cretins who spoil the performance for everyone else. You go into a clothes shop and are assaulted by wall-to-wall rap music, cafes are no longer a quiet refuge due to people on mobile phones or loud/whining children, or both.

Perhaps I will arise now, and go to Innisfree...

---------- Post added 13-12-2013 at 12:57 ----------

One thing I have learnt over the years.Never try and reason with a drunkard/s.

Total waste of time.

I agree, but given that they are impervious to reason and polite requests, should they allowed to use public transport?

Some weeks ago I booked a seat in the quiet coach on an evening train to London from Leeds. I boarded, looking forward to a peaceful journey and a quiet read of my book, after a hard week's work. Six women also boarded in Leeds having had a drink (or three and in very high spirits). There were 12 other (non-quiet) coaches they could have sat in but they chose to sit in the quiet coach. They proceeded to shriek, laugh, make calls on their mobiles and swear loudly for the next 35 minutes. When other passengers asked them to be quiet, they just cackled and giggled and said 'Shhhhhh' in a noisy, tipsy sort of way.

They got off in Wakefield (fortunately), verbally abusing everyone who'd asked them to be quiet. The lad opposite us thought they were just having a good time and said we were 'miserable' for complaining. He said, it's public transport. If you want to be quiet, go in your car.

No it isn't, and to swear and verbally abuse people who asked them to be quiet shows what they were like.

I blame the so called liberal "ladette culture" some of them have no shame.

Not at all unreasonable. I would have acted the same way towards the same people.

In fact, I booked the quiet coach for my return from the capital, after landing from a 13 hour over night flight that morning. My intention was for a bit of peace and quiet so I could catch up on my sleep... a couple of noisy passengers had other intentions.

Yes, that's precisely why I didn't move. Ironically, however, the other 'noisy' coaches were probably quieter than the one I was in!

I agree, there should be more quiet coaches, especially on long distance trains, and the guards should be much more proactive about pointing out the restrictions as people get into the coach. The irritating women I had to put up with didn't have a clue. I honestly don't think they understood the concept of a quiet coach - they just stumbled into the first one they came to and carried on having a good time (to everyone else's detriment, of course).

I wonder whether as the world gets generally noisier (and it is), people's noise tolerance threshold increases? The problem is, mine hasn't. Peace and quiet are very hard to find, apart from in your own home. Cinemas and even theatres these days seem to attract mobile-phone-checking, camera-touting, whispering, nattering, sweet-wrapper-rustling cretins who spoil the performance for everyone else. You go into a clothes shop and are assaulted by wall-to-wall rap music, cafes are no longer a quiet refuge due to people on mobile phones or loud/whining children, or both.

Perhaps I will arise now, and go to Innisfree...

---------- Post added 13-12-2013 at 12:57 ----------

I agree, but given that they are impervious to reason and polite requests, should they allowed to use public transport?

It's up to the rail companies to introduce a zero tolerance policy I guess.

And to make sure their staff enforce it.

In an ideal world it would be good if people are refused prior to embarkation.But,that would be a vitually impossible.

It's just such situations that make me appreciate my hearing aids. I can turn them right down or even switch off altogether.

You lucky people who have good hearing also have to take the pain of idiots being obnoxious, not to mention screaming babies and very noisy children.

I don't see why the guard can't threaten troublemakers with eviction from the train at the next stop, with the police waiting for them. An on-the-spot hefty fine should then be imposed on them.

Thanks! I feel better now. But I'm not sure they thought about it (or anything) in the normal sense of the word. The depressing thing was their total lack of empathy with everyone else in the carriage. They really couldn't have cared less, and treated us like dirt on their 7 " high-heeled shoes.

I'm glad it isn't just me who thinks their behaviour was appalling.

Where was the conductor, they should have been told to go to another carriage and to stop disturbing people.

Archived