Hybrid Vehicle Drivers in Sheffield

I did get one 60mpg plus tank in my old Octavia 1.9 tdi on a trip to Cornwall. That's not a realistic figure for daily driving around Sheffield is it though? That Fabia I mentioned would get nearly 50 mpg sat on a motorway all day.

The Octavia was an 11 year old car with little service history when I bought it though and stuff just kept breaking. Nice car but proved to be horrendously unreliable.

Thankfully the Insight has been almost entirely trouble free, but it was just a year and a half old when I got it.

Edit: frankly I think environmental benefits of hybrids are overstated. If I wanted to be environmentally friendly, I'd get the bus. Running costs however... Hybrid batteries cost no more to replace than a dmf, servicing is cheaper on a hybrid than most diesels (same as a normal small petrol car)

it does say on a run in my post!!! mine has proved to be ultra reliable i have a home in st.austell , the Octavia does the 354 miles each way without complaint!!! theres a lot to be said for proper maintenance. interestingly top gear ran a test a Toyota prius versus a bmw m3, they both did the max mileage they could on a gallon of petrol around the track and the bmw proved to be more frugal!!! go figure!!

Indeed.

The final thing that promoted me to get rid of the Octavia was sticking vanes in the turbo. Most likely a combination of poor maintenance and too many short runs in its history.

It wasn't that it was insurmountable - more a combination of the rest of the to fix list and the age of the car I didn't know where the repairs were going to end.

Indeed.

The final thing that promoted me to get rid of the Octavia was sticking vanes in the turbo. Most likely a combination of poor maintenance and too many short runs in its history.

It wasn't that it was insurmountable - more a combination of the rest of the to fix list and the age of the car I didn't know where the repairs were going to end.

i know you no longer have the car but theres an easy fix for that problem definitely worth trying, i have done a few including my own car 30k ago!!!

I've never understood how adding half a ton of batteries to a car is supposed to make it more economical. Slower yes. More economical. NO.

Stick 50 house bricks in the boot of your Astra and see what that does for your performance and MPG.

McLaren seem to have fixed the slowness... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_P1

by mating the electric motor with a twin-turbo V8 and making the car out of carbon fibre and titanium.

It's an absolute marvel, but I don't think you'll see a Prius going down the same route :hihi::hihi:

Sadly we don't all have a million to spend on a car, but we can dream. Some of the technology will end up in more realistic cars in future. Carbon fibre isn't really expensive, can only get cheaper too, I think more manufacturers will be using it in future & making more effort to reduce weight.

Archived