Speak English or lose benefits: Government to introduce tougher tests

WeX

What is peoples opinion of this?

I kind of agree with it. If you want to work in the UK you should speak the language and if you cant you should be back home

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-to-introduce-tougher-tests-for-migrants-claiming-benefits-9001528.html

It's an excellent first step in the right direction.

The good thing is, it will enable the government to differentiate between genuine people looking to work and contribute and those looking for a free ride.
How? Plenty of "freeriders" speak English or learn. Plenty of "genuine people looking to work" and working ones never quite learn, either.

e.g. I used to know an elderly Ukrainian gentleman (RIP), married to an Italian, whose English was far less than even approximate, after 50-odd years in this country. He'd grafted in the local pits and steel mills all that time.

Don't get me wrong, at the stage things are at, anything is at least worth a try, and like you I find myself agreeing with the principle. But that 'good thing' argument above rings a bit hollow to me.

Moreover, the bad thing is, it will make sweet f.a. difference about non-English speaking family members of immigrant workers coming here on the back of "the right to family life" (or somesuch, can't remember exact expression), and to whom this proposed 'learn to speak English or begone' regime will not apply.

What is peoples opinion of this?

I kind of agree with it. If you want to work in the UK you should speak the language and if you cant you should be back home

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-to-introduce-tougher-tests-for-migrants-claiming-benefits-9001528.html

How is it speak English if you want to work?....it says speak English or you might not get benefits.

How is it speak English if you want to work?....it says speak English or you might not get benefits.

Hah you caught me out there as well! Never looked at the article! I think it should certainly apply to those claiming benefits as it will help them finding work. But I also think it should be a pre-requisite for getting a NI number.

Some interesting comments at the end of that newspaper article!

I expect many of those that come here can speak better English then some of the English.

Especially when you consider that some among our own people have such a poor command of English they can hardly string a sentence together to communicate in their own language.

Archived