Speak English or lose benefits: Government to introduce tougher tests

WeX

Some interesting comments at the end of that newspaper article!

I expect many of those that come here can speak better English then some of the English.

Especially when you consider that some among our own people have such a poor command of English they can hardly string a sentence together to communicate in their own language.

Then you should reassess those expectations ;)

The US and Australia along with a number of other countries have requirements that you must be able to pass an English exam to be allowed to live in the country let alone claim any benefits. They also have very strict benefits systems that stop new immigrants from claiming any benefits (Australia is 6 months if I remember correctly), it's in black and white when you sign the VISA forms.

Unfortunately one of the flaws of the EU is the fact that it tries to join countries with different languages, currencies, wealth, traditions and systems for care (or lack of). How anyone could have thought this could work I have no idea.

Yep. I agree with this too. Australia is very fussy who it lets in.

The Aborigines weren't offered a choice.

---------- Post added 16-12-2013 at 16:44 ----------

Thats why the job center has translators for them,at OUR expense of course.

Who is "our"?

Archived