Parental Discipline

I think the point that is being missed in your debate with Angos is that Angos considers smacking a child to keep them away from fire is preventing the child causing themselves serious harm and permanent damage by touching fire.

Obviously different people will have different views and courses of action.

The fact is is that it works on some people but not on others

I think the point that is being missed in your debate with Angos is that Angos considers smacking a child to keep them away from fire is preventing the child causing themselves serious harm and permanent damage by touching fire.

Obviously different people will have different views and courses of action.

It must be a strange situation where only hitting the child can somehow save them from being burnt. Instead of, for example, taking hold of them...

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 08:55 ----------

Its for the law to determine whether something constitutes abuse, and it would depend on the severity of the smack.

What method of discipline do you use for your kids?

I think the entire point of the discussion is about whether hitting a child is abuse or not. A reference to the existing law is circular.

How can it be justified that it's okay to hit children, but not okay to hit adults... Maybe because adults can hit back...

It must be a strange situation where only hitting the child can somehow save them from being burnt. Instead of, for example, taking hold of them...

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 08:55 ----------

I think the entire point of the discussion is about whether hitting a child is abuse or not. A reference to the existing law is circular.

How can it be justified that it's okay to hit children, but not okay to hit adults... Maybe because adults can hit back...

Would it be okay if I took hold of you for not doing as I tell you?

Or is it only okay because you are bigger than the child?

How can it be justified that it's okay to take hold of a child, but not okay to take hold of an adult... Maybe because adults won't let you just grab them.

I would really like to here how you discipline your children?

I don't think it helps the discussion by substituting the word hitting which implies more of a violent action than using the word smack which implies a slight use of force.

Obviously the word smack should not be used as an excuse for more violent action also.

That's just using semantics to make violence against a child more acceptable isn't it?

You wouldn't smack an adult for not doing as you told them would you?

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 09:39 ----------

How can it be justified that it's okay to take hold of a child, but not okay to take hold of an adult... Maybe because adults won't let you just grab them.

If I saw an adult about to be hurt I certainly would grab them, it might be to save them from a fall, or stop them stepping in front of a bus.

I wouldn't then hit them to make sure they had learned some sort of lesson.

You didn't answer my question though, you just asked a different one, which I've now answered, so how about answering my questions?

That's just using semantics to make violence against a child more acceptable isn't it?

You wouldn't smack an adult for not doing as you told them would you?

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 09:39 ----------

If I saw an adult about to be hurt I certainly would grab them, it might be to save them from a fall, or stop them stepping in front of a bus.

I wouldn't then hit them to make sure they had learned some sort of lesson.

You didn't answer my question though, you just asked a different one, which I've now answered, so how about answering my questions?

I'd really like you to answer any question that I've asked, but you haven't.

Trying to change the way people instill discipline is pointless unless you can give them an alternative.

Trying to change the way people instill discipline is pointless unless you can give them an alternative.

Are you really suggesting that hitting children is the only way to discipline them? Or that it is in any way acceptable?

There are loads of ways of instilling discipline into children without hitting them. Some are detailed in this very thread. Feel free to read back through it, if you need some ideas of how to bring up children, without beating them up.

Are you really suggesting that hitting children is the only way to discipline them? Or that it is in any way acceptable?

There are loads of ways of instilling discipline into children without hitting them. Some are detailed in this very thread. Feel free to read back through it, if you need some ideas of how to bring up children, without beating them up.

I think you are confusing smacking with abuse and beating someone up, when they are entirety different.

How do you discipline your children when they are doing something that you think is unacceptable.

Archived