Parental Discipline

I can think of a number of ways that don't involve hitting you.

Go on then, elaborate, we can't discuss your methods of disciplining a child if you don't tell us what they are.

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 13:36 ----------

Patiently;)

Sorry but that isn't very helpful, you can spank someone without becoming annoyed or anxious.

Go on then, elaborate, we can't discuss your methods of disciplining a child if you don't tell us what they are.

Well, removing the child from the shop might be one option, picking them up might be another. Telling the child there will a consequence if they don't do what you're asking - making them miss a favourite tv program, sending them to bed early or whatever - and following through on it.

Well, removing the child from the shop might be one option, picking them up might be another.
Is that how you would deal with an adult or are you just picking them up because you are bigger and they can't stop you.

Telling the child there will a consequence if they don't do what you're asking - making them miss a favourite tv program, sending them to bed early or whatever - and following through on it.

Is this how you would deal with an adult or are you just depriving them of something they want to do because you are bigger than them and they have no means to stop you.

What would you do if they won't stay in bed or they find something else to play with?

Sorry but that isn't very helpful, you can spank someone without becoming annoyed or anxious.

I imagine that the person being spanked might become annoyed or anxious.

Personally, I'd explain carefully to the child why they shouldn't do something.

A bit like I'm doing with you at the moment;)

I imagine that the person being spanked might become annoyed or anxious.

I imagine they would become annoyed or anxious if they are sent to bed, stopped from playing with toys prevented from touching what they want to touch.

Personally, I'd explain carefully to the child why they shouldn't do something.

And if they disagree with you and think touching looks like fun.

Is that how you would deal with an adult or are you just picking them up because you are bigger and they can't stop you.

Is this how you would deal with an adult or are you just depriving them of something they want to do because you are bigger than them and they have no means to stop you.

What would you do if they won't stay in bed or they find something else to play with?

I don't treat children in the same way I treat adults - nor have I ever been in a shop with an adult and needed to remonstrate with them about their behaviour.

I'm not going to chase down your silly list of 'what ifs' either. If it's your intention to prove that you can't raise children without hitting them then you can stop right there - because everyone knows that the answer to the question ''Can you discipline children without recourse to hitting them is a resounding 'yes'.

I imagine they would become annoyed or anxious if they are sent to bed, stopped from playing with toys prevented from touching what they want to touch.

And if they disagree with you and think touching looks like fun.

Well, I wouldn't hit them because it is clearly abuse.

I'd probably repeat myself calmly and explain a little more.

Can you see the pattern?

Why are you trying to justify hitting children? Do you have anything you'd like to share with us?

I don't treat children in the same way I treat adults - nor have I ever been in a shop with an adult and needed to remonstrate with them about their behaviour.

I'm not going to chase down your silly list of 'what ifs' either. If it's your intention to prove that you can't raise children without hitting them then you can stop right there - because everyone knows that the answer to the question ''Can you discipline children without recourse to hitting them is a resounding 'yes'.

Why is your method of punishment better than a spank and why don't you treat child the same as adults.

You must have been in a shop and seen adults touching stuff, why would you let them touch but forcibly prevent a child from touching?

daneha - if you're still struggling with the concept of disciplining children can I recommend the excellent C4 programme 'Supernanny', in which Jo Frost helps parents discipline some very badly behaved young children - and guess what?

She does it without violence.

Well, I wouldn't hit them because it is clearly abuse.

I'd probably repeat myself calmly and explain a little more.

Can you see the pattern?

So now you have taught the child that there are no adverse consequences to touching stuff they shouldn't be touching.

Archived