Parental Discipline

Nigel Farage revealed that he used to smack his children and said it was important that children had "a little bit of fear of their parents".

http://www.lbc.co.uk/watch-nigel-farage-admits-he-smacks-his-children-82832

I think he is right on, I never believe in pasting your kids and by gum, I had a few when I was playing up as a kid.

Never did me any harm and I always knew if I did things wrong that there was consequences, so I naturally had that in mind before I did owt bad.

But I never believe in bullying kids to make them better human beings, I believe in tough love but in the appropriate way, not making your kids walk on egg shells but do believe they should know who's boss.

So, in 2013, kids run amok in schools, there is no caning or slippers, at homes they rule their guardians, how do we cure this.

Maybe some good old fashioned values, tough love and bit of fear gets the most out of kids to realise their full potential in life.

Don't confuse fear with respect. And remember respect works both ways. Parents also have to set a good example. Proper parenting takes a lot of time, patience and effort.

Unfortunately these are things some modern parents seem to be short of.

I'm lucky really because 99% of the time, my little boy is as good as gold so I don't need to smack him. Infact I hardly know i've got him! On the odd occasion when he does play up, all I need to do is raise my voice and give him the face (you know the one; clenched jaw, crazy wide eyes etc) and he knows he's crossed the line! However I used to get a well deserved smacked bum every now and again when I was little and I do think that it kept me on the straight and narrow. Depends how naughty the child is I guess.

I'm lucky really because 99% of the time, my little boy is as good as gold so I don't need to smack him. Infact I hardly know i've got him! On the odd occasion when he does play up, all I need to do is raise my voice and give him the face (you know the one; clenched jaw, crazy wide eyes etc) and he knows he's crossed the line! However I used to get a well deserved smacked bum every now and again when I was little and I do think that it kept me on the straight and narrow. Depends how naughty the child is I guess.

Yes, but how naughty the child is can be down to how well he's been parented, so you must be doing something right.

Yes, but how naughty the child is can be down to how well he's been parented, so you must be doing something right.

It can be yes. I don't think I can take all the credit though, he's always been good bless him. Right from being a baby he was never a crier, always happy/smiley, and slept well etc. Think it's just something naturally in him that makes him so pleasant and trouble free. This is one of the reasons why the hubby and I have decided not to have any more as they always say you never get two the same (suggesting that a second offspring would be a little devil!) :-)

Nigel Farage revealed that he used to smack his children and said it was important that children had "a little bit of fear of their parents".

http://www.lbc.co.uk/watch-nigel-farage-admits-he-smacks-his-children-82832

I think he is right on, I never believe in pasting your kids and by gum, I had a few when I was playing up as a kid.

Never did me any harm and I always knew if I did things wrong that there was consequences, so I naturally had that in mind before I did owt bad.

But I never believe in bullying kids to make them better human beings, I believe in tough love but in the appropriate way, not making your kids walk on egg shells but do believe they should know who's boss.

So, in 2013, kids run amok in schools, there is no caning or slippers, at homes they rule their guardians, how do we cure this.

Maybe some good old fashioned values, tough love and bit of fear gets the most out of kids to realise their full potential in life.

Maybe it's time for people to realise that discipline and physical punishment do not go hand in hand. One can exist without the other.

I've spent most of 2013 in a school. The kids haven't run amok.

Your premise is broken.

BEDROCK didn't say they run amok in every school, so you can both be correct. :)

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 19:52 ----------

Who do you think you are talking to? You want something from me then ask properly.

Some people just have no manners because they were dragged up, you should forgive for it isn't their fault. :)

Archived