Parental Discipline

Ofsted notice to inspection has been reduced but its still long enough to start papering over the cracks.

A former school I worked at decided to open until midnight and 8-6 Saturday and Sunday in order to prepare.

Look at "Educating Yorkshire" and "Educating Essex" and the behaviour there, and they knew or didn't even care about the cameras.

Thankfully things are changing:

Ofsted: schools face 'no-notice' inspections in behaviour crackdown

Ofsted says it will introduce no-notice inspections of schools where there are concerns over behaviour standards amid fears that teachers are tolerating 'low-level disruption'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10511288/Ofsted-schools-face-no-notice-inspections-in-behaviour-crackdown.html

If behvaiour in school's wasn't an issue, then there wouldn't be countless documents on it on the TES and other educational or teaching websites.

You have to be in the industry to know, not be an armchair commentator.

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 11:57 ----------

More links:

The number of pupils in the UK with behavioural and mental health problems is on the rise, a teachers' union says.

The Association of Teachers and Lecturers said disruptive classroom behaviour was also worsening, with 53% of 844 members surveyed reporting a deterioration over the past five years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21895705

Staff believe lack of boundaries at home is the main reason for students behaving badly (cited by 79%), followed by behavioural problems (69%), emotional problems (68%), wanting attention from other students (64%), a lack of positive role models at home (61%) and family breakdowns (61%). Also significant were low self-esteem (53%) and not valuing education (51%), and a third (34%) cited mental health problems.

http://www.atl.org.uk/media-office/media-archive/Disruptive-behaviour-in-schools-and-colleges-rises-alongside-increase-in-children-with-behavioural-and-mental-health-problems.asp

I've worked "day in day out" in five different ones.

They are generally purposeful, peaceful and productive places.

Which still doesn't mean that BEDROCK's premise is broken.

---------- Post added 18-12-2013 at 17:02 ----------

Nigel Farage revealed that he used to smack his children and said it was important that children had "a little bit of fear of their parents".

http://www.lbc.co.uk/watch-nigel-farage-admits-he-smacks-his-children-82832

I think he is right on, I never believe in pasting your kids and by gum, I had a few when I was playing up as a kid.

Never did me any harm and I always knew if I did things wrong that there was consequences, so I naturally had that in mind before I did owt bad.

But I never believe in bullying kids to make them better human beings, I believe in tough love but in the appropriate way, not making your kids walk on egg shells but do believe they should know who's boss.

So, in 2013, kids run amok in schools, there is no caning or slippers, at homes they rule their guardians, how do we cure this.

Maybe some good old fashioned values, tough love and bit of fear gets the most out of kids to realise their full potential in life.

Teachers report a rise in disruptive behaviour at schools and colleges, which they put down to a "lack of boundaries" at home.

In an Association of Teachers and Lecturers' survey, the majority of educational staff reported a rise in the number of children with emotional, behavioural or mental health problems over the past five years coupled with worsening student behaviour in schools and colleges.

In the survey of 844 education staff, nearly two thirds said there are more children with emotional, behavioural and mental health problems than two years ago.

Staff believe lack of boundaries at home is the main reason for students behaving badly (cited by 79 per cent), followed by behavioural problems (69 per cent), emotional problems (68 per cent), wanting attention from other students (64 per cent), a lack of positive role models at home (61 per cent) and family breakdowns (61 per cent). Also significant were low self-esteem and not valuing education, and a third cited mental health problems.

Ofsted: Schools Ignoring Bad Behaviour

Schools where behaviour is a problem will be subjected to spot checks by inspectors for the first time in a bid to drive up education standards, the Ofsted chief inspector has said.

Sir Michael Wilshaw has said that teachers were too often ignoring low-level disruption and "horseplay" leading to a culture of "casual acceptance" of misbehaviour that is holding schools back.

If behvaiour in school's wasn't an issue, then there wouldn't be countless documents on it on the TES and other educational or teaching websites.

You have to be in the industry to know, not be an armchair commentator.

Of course behaviour management is an important issue. Good and outstanding schools manage behaviour well. There are plenty of good and outstanding schools out there.

I'm not sure what you mean by "in the industry". Does that include technical support staff who see things from a distance, or is it limited to classroom practitioners?

In any case, you clearly have an atypical view of behaviour in schools. Have a read at this. It draws together Ofsted data, LEA surveys, information from unions and some academic research.

Let me know how you get on with it.

The problem with that document is that its from OFSTED - the very agency which is getting the wool pulled over its eyes time and again.

One of the very first paragraphs states:

According to Ofsted inspection data, the majority of schools have Good or Outstanding levels of behaviour.

The link I posted earlier shows that schools are hiding bad pupils from Ofsted.

Ofsted have now changed the goalposts and schools which were once satisfactory are now judged as failing or "requires improvement".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16579644

And as a result more schools are marked as failing or gone into special measures than ever before. Kind of contradicts your link.

Incidentally the report also says "The views expressed in this report are the authors’ and do not necessarily reflect those of the Department for Education. "

The problem will not get any better until one school or union tackles the matter head on and they stop covering things up or papering the cracks for when Ofsted visit.

I've "survived" five OFSTED inspections over the years and been closely involved with four others and in every single instance as soon as the notification came the panic started and the frantic marking of books and writing of documents and plans started.

The problem with that document is that its from OFSTED - the very agency which is getting the wool pulled over its eyes time and again.

One of the very first paragraphs states:

I was hoping that you'd make it past the first couple of paragraphs.

The document is a very thorough piece of research.

Much more reliable than the testimony of one person with a jaundiced view of schools and teachers.

Archived