Bomb explodes in N Ireland

i thought the bomb went off in ireland :huh:

Nope. Northern Ireland.

---------- Post added 14-12-2013 at 19:37 ----------

They're not doing because they're Christians though, they're doing it because they want the English out of Ireland. The clue is in their name. The Irish Republican Army ... geddit?

I hadn't heard about it, but then mostly the way I ever hear about any of this stuff, Muslim or other, is on this site, is because melthebell posts about it, sooner or later. Good to hear that no-one was injured and that the people didn't let it faze them though.

I agree it's nothing to do with religion, but just to point out though, the Unionist people of Northern Ireland are not English, they're Northern Irish.

---------- Post added 14-12-2013 at 19:41 ----------

They're doing it because one group is Catholic and the other Protestant and all the attendant reasons that relationship often creates friction.

That's not what they're fighting about though.

What it is about, is Republican terrorists trying to bomb the people of Northern Ireland into submitting to a united Irish Republic, ie they are trying to overrule the democratic will of the Northern Irish people.

How come...
Because the reason for the formation of the IRA and all their subsequent actions, such as the bombing campaigns, was to bring about a united Ireland.

There may be sectarian differences due to religion, but they are not the reason for the IRA, or Oglaigh na hEireann, which is and has always had the aim of reuniting Ireland.

In response to another poster, they may warn about a bomb, but generally give false information as to the location, which they did in this case, so not that helpful, although slightly better than no warning at all, I guess.

Because the reason for the formation of the IRA and all their subsequent actions, such as the bombing campaigns, was to bring about a united Ireland.

There may be sectarian differences due to religion, but they are not the reason for the IRA, or Oglaigh na hEireann, which is and has always had the aim of reuniting Ireland.

Yes I understand all that, but the membership of whatever faction is delineated along sectarian lines. When you routinely encounter Protestants who are members of the IRA or Catholics who are Ulster freedom fighters your point will be well made.

Northern Ireland is not known as the Orange State for nothing. The IRA and other Irish Republican groups are pro-Catholic. The Orange State is a symbol of British protestant rule. Protestant loyalists and unionists predominantly support the Orange State being part of the UK. Catholic republicans and nationalists predominantly support the six counties of Ulster that form the Orange State seceding from the UK and becoming part of a united 32 county Ireland.

Yes I understand all that, but the membership of whatever faction is delineated along sectarian lines. When you routinely encounter Protestants who are members of the IRA or Catholics who are Ulster freedom fighters your point will be well made.

Are Catholics fighting "for Catholicism", or Protestants for "Protestantism"?

I'm not saying it's nothing to do with it. Republic of Ireland are strongly Catholic, so it's within reason that Republicans wanting a united Ireland as part of the Republic of Ireland are therefore Catholics.

Luckily some bloke years ago wanted to divorce his wife, and so we pretty much binned off Catholicism. I'm not cheer leading for the C of E here, but we grew into a far more liberal country because of it, and that's what makes the "Protestant" Unionists of Northern Ireland culturally, religiously and politically different to the rest of Ireland. The Protestants and Catholics are like chalk and cheese, even more so when Ireland was given independence, and then Northern Ireland immediately left the Republic of Ireland to rejoin the United Kingdom.

Remember that, Northern Ireland left the Republic of Ireland to join us, because they didn't want to be part of the Republic.

Are Catholics fighting "for Catholicism", or Protestants for "Protestantism"?

I'm not saying it's nothing to do with it. Republic of Ireland are strongly Catholic, so it's within reason that Republicans wanting a united Ireland as part of the Republic of Ireland are therefore Catholics.

Luckily some bloke years ago wanted to divorce his wife, and so we pretty much binned off Catholicism. I'm not cheer leading for the C of E here, but we grew into a far more liberal country because of it, and that's what makes the "Protestant" Unionists of Northern Ireland culturally, religiously and politically different to the rest of Ireland.

Mankind fights because of all kinds of affiliation, Catholics fight Protestants because it's something they've always done. Historically the Catholics were the disadvantaged so the affiliation and it's violent manifestation was easily motivated. Whether they read and interprete parts of the Bible differently is largely irrelevant, they are identified by their deeds and how they choose to live their lives-as Catholics or Protestants.

In response to another poster, they may warn about a bomb, but generally give false information as to the location, which they did in this case, so not that helpful, although slightly better than no warning at all, I guess.

It is terrorism at the end of the day, just because it isn't Muslims doing it doesn't mean it is not terrorism.

I think this is the point Mel was making. :)

Archived