Bomb explodes in N Ireland

Well done! you've presented a clear and detailed account about something a lot of people have limited knowledge about.

Yet its a part of British of history, so one has to question why?

In my opinion? Because the British, despite their many faults have the good grace to be ashamed of the whole situation.

I am Anglo-Irish, Sheffield father, family traced back to 1706 in a direct male line, Ecclesfield originally Heeley from the 1750's.

Irish mother County Clare, since God's dog was a pup. :)

Having been born in Sheffield I was educated in the usual state school & history lessons never included anything other than a passing reference to Ireland, which was a little strange bearing in mind that it was the first British colony of what became the Empire.

When I attended school in Ireland they obviously taught the history of the country, which involved England/Britain to a fairly large degree for obvious reasons.

Being young, I at first took it a bit personally & thought they were having a go at me.

This gave me an interest in Irish history & upon investigation it became clear what the rights & wrongs of the situation were fairly quickly.

In fairness I believe most English people, whilst not necessarily being totally aware of all the facts, have an appreciation that Ireland is a separate country & Britain being involved may not be justifiable.

Strange thing is, despite everything, my experience is that of all the people in the British Isles & Ireland the people that like the English most are the Irish from the Republic. Still haven't worked that one out. :)

In my opinion? Because the British, despite their many faults have the good grace to be ashamed of the whole situation.

I am Anglo Irish, Sheffield father, family traced back to 1706 in a direct male line, Ecclesfield originally Heeley from the 1750's.

Irish mother County Clare, since God's dog was a pup. :)

Having been born in Sheffield I was educated in the usual state school & history lessons never included anything other than a passing reference to Ireland, which was a little strange bearing in mind that it was the first British colony of what became the Empire.

When I attended school in Ireland they obviously taught the history of the country, which involved England/Britain to a fairly large degree for obvious reasons.

Being young, I at first took it a bit personally & thought they were having a go at me.

This gave me an interest in Irish history & upon investigation it became clear what the rights & wrongs of the situation were fairly quickly.

In fairness I believe most English people, whilst not necessarily being totally aware of all the facts, have an appreciation that Ireland is a separate country & Britain being involved may not be justifiable.

Strange thing is, despite everything, my experience is that of all the people in the British Isles & Ireland the people that like the English most are the Irish from the Republic. Still haven't worked that one out. :)

Me too, that's probably why I find the history interesting.

One thing that rarely gets mentioned is that many of those IRA members, particularly the early founders of the main organisation were Marxist communists.

:hihi::hihi::hihi: hook line and sinker bf

Not really rg since you chose to comment before me ;)

---------- Post added 15-12-2013 at 07:22 ----------

Boy there are some strange views on here.

Firstly religion is incidental. Yes most Nationalists are Catholic & most Protestants are Unionist.

But that is not what it's about, no one is attempting to convert anyone, it's a relatively minor part of the problem.

The views are far from strange, conflicts between different religious groups are rarely about religion-they're usually about power, influence and money.

Thats right, but as it stands I have substantially more chance of being killed by Islamic terrorists, than the IRA.

The IRA problem is also solvable politically, but the Islamist problem isn't.

You're really up to date, aren't you? The IRA disbanded and destroyed their weapons over 10 years ago. The people carrying out the latest bombings are dissident republicans who refuse to go along with the peace process and are carrying on the fight.

I wonder how long it will be before they bomb the mainland. There can't be many of them as they're isolated from mainstream Irish Republicanism but they seem to be well organised and effective and growing.

---------- Post added 15-12-2013 at 08:21 ----------

Boy there are some strange views on here.

Firstly religion is incidental. Yes most Nationalists are Catholic & most Protestants are Unionist.

But that is not what it's about, no one is attempting to convert anyone, it's a relatively minor part of the problem.

That's an extremely ignorant comment. Saying that religion plays only an incidental role in Northern Irish politics is like saying race played only a minor role in apartheid. Religion is the base of the conflict in Ireland as society is divided along religious grounds.

You're really up to date, aren't you? The IRA disbanded and destroyed their weapons over 10 years ago.

Thats in interesting theory.

Republican dissidents join forces to form a new IRA

Three of the four main dissident republican terror groups in Northern Ireland are to merge and reclaim the banner of the IRA, in an escalation of attempts to de-stabilise power sharing.

How active is the Real IRA, and what can the security forces do about it?

IRA weapons still in use, claims UUP MLA

Weapons belonging to the Provisional IRA - including a rocket launcher and a warhead - are still in use, an Ulster Unionist MLA has claimed.

West Tyrone MLA and Policing Board member Ross Hussey said that police statistics have confirmed that IRA weapons are still in use.

So, is it true that the IRA has not really gone away?

Thats in interesting theory.

Republican dissidents join forces to form a new IRA

Three of the four main dissident republican terror groups in Northern Ireland are to merge and reclaim the banner of the IRA, in an escalation of attempts to de-stabilise power sharing.

How active is the Real IRA, and what can the security forces do about it?

IRA weapons still in use, claims UUP MLA

Weapons belonging to the Provisional IRA - including a rocket launcher and a warhead - are still in use, an Ulster Unionist MLA has claimed.

West Tyrone MLA and Policing Board member Ross Hussey said that police statistics have confirmed that IRA weapons are still in use.

So, is it true that the IRA has not really gone away?

What's your point?

You haven't said anything or linked to anything which contradicts LeMaquis' statement ''The people carrying out the latest bombings are dissident republicans who refuse to go along with the peace process and are carrying on the fight.''

Archived