Starting Dog walking, cleaning, gardening, general helpful person.

Fair dogmother is relevant to dog walking, but nothing else.

Had another thought; your dog walking customers will want you to be very experienced and knowledge with dogs, insured, etc. and i'm not really sure most folk will pay that sort of money unless you are a dedicated dog walking business and not just a dogsbody (pardon the pun!) hired home help type of business.

My dog cost £1.5k and I would only let her go with an established, reputable, insured dog walker who came highly recommended. Obviously if she didn't cost me anything i'd still feel as bad if you lost her, or another dog attacked her, etc, but the value of the dogs you are walking has to come into it. What's your experience here? What do you know about dogs and their behaviour?

Maybe it depends who your clientele will be as to what they expect and what they expect to pay. They aren't just paying for your time and fuel to get there, they are also paying for your reliability, expertise, knowledge, etc.

And don't forget while deciding if there is any mileage in this business idea, we all help people with little jobs here and there and we have people help us just the same....but would we pay for it? Can pensioners afford to pay you the hourly rate?

You need to work out who you will target and then research to see if they would buy your services, and how much would they pay you. You don't just try and sell to those who need it.....you sell to those who are willing to pay for it. 2 different things.

Example, you will need a website. Will you pay me a few hundred pounds for one or will you knock up a free weebly site instead or pay £4.99 a month to vistaprint?

Where will you position yourself in the market?

Bottom feeder part of the market who want to pay the least, cause you the most amount of hassle and least profitable, or high end of the market, where you can choose your clients, who pay on time, who let you get on with the job, and you remain profitable.

Edited by indizine

Everyone has to start somewhere. I agree with the insurance comments - to benefit both you and your customers. Some situations might require a police check too (vulnerable adults).

I am moving Dad here in the spring and we would use someone like this. With the above in place of course.

I reckon if you actually do walk the dogs thats a bonus.

I've seen one such setup get the dogs out of the car, walk a few yards, let the dogs run around off the lead then get back in their estate car. Hardly dog walking.

I'd love to have a dog but work makes this a difficult option.

As to a name "One man and your dog(s)" …

that name is taken by my husband lol! See link below!

Edited by gnomi

My first concern would not be name. It would be 'is this idea financially credible?'...

10 or 12 quid an hour when you factor in cost petrol, travelling time, other business costs; seems crazy low to me. I would be seriously concerned about the whole venture making a loss.

My first concern would not be name. It would be 'is this idea financially credible?'...

10 or 12 quid an hour when you factor in cost petrol, travelling time, other business costs; seems crazy low to me. I would be seriously concerned about the whole venture making a loss.

ditto - what's the going rate for kennels ?

Price is too low as you say. Worth having a look to see what the cleaning agencies are charging an hour just now, as their overheads are built in to the hourly rate.

They will have office premises too, so if you run from home then you may be able to undercut them.

I have had to engage lots of these and found a few absolute gems. If you are 'running small' it is sensible to put in place all the insurance/admin stuff/equipment/someone to cover if you are sick at the very beginning.

Even the bigger agencies let people down. I would rather have a small reliable outfit than hit and miss and no phone call from a larger firm. Also, if you get any customers through care associations and the like, find out how the billing works. You don't want to wait 3 months to get paid, or be chasing the cash.

Id say best thing have a go at all little jobs you fancy , perhaps put a add in your local shops in area. Dog walker, Cleaner, etc

see what kinda work ppl want/respond from your add. then take it from there .

as someone has stated everyone has to start somewhere, and credit too you as well

There is a need for an odd job type person in the market place. There is more demand if you are handy and can fix leaking taps etc.

We used to have an odd job person doing my gardening as we only wanted weeding and sweeping rather than a skilled gardener. He used to do lots of small jobs and errands for older people who were still in their own homes but needed a bit of a hand. He was turning work away all the time but he did only charge £10 per hour.

I do think you are limiting yourself my the name fairy dog mother. We use Sue on here for pet sitting when we are away. She does house sitting too. She might pop along and give you some advice. I'm not sure how often she somes on the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

What about 'Girl Friday'? I think your ideas sound great. Have you thought about contacting Sheffield Enterprise Trust at Albion House - they offer help and support for new small businesses. Good luck with it - I can think I lots of things you could help me with if I had any money!

Jack of all trades master of none comes to mind.

There are people about that are good at a number of trades, there are also "qualified" tradesmen whose work is rushed/crap etc...

The OP is making the effort rather than living a life on benefits.