Are you a 'hero' or a 'coward'?

Are there different types of courage? What criteria do we use to 'judge' someone's bravery?

One person I know is a mentally and physically tough, 6ft guy who is fearless and outspoken in a public setting, no trouble causer yet is intelligent and polite, totally unafraid of trouble-causers in pubs or of rowdy crowds, and known to defend himself against several idiots when others might hide or run. Yet he is arachnophobic and admits would never dare bungee jump?

Another person I worked with is rather an introverted wallflower, never really speaks out, yet has done bungee and parachute jumps??

So when we assess people based upon whether they would ''dare do'' something, is it accurate?

I am a coward until someone goes to far. If you go to far, you get it.

I suppose I am like your six footer example, except I am 6'2. I am irrationally scared of heights, but if someone threatens me or my friends (on a night out or whatever) they get it and I won't back down.

Having said that, I grew up in a town where you had to fight to ensure you didn't get beat (if that makes sense).

Got in a lot of trouble at school for confronting bullies on others behalf's, but that's just my strong sense of justice. :D Wouldn't say i'm brave, as like Tim above heights terrify me too.

On the other hand i'd happily put myself before a huge crowd and perform/speak, but i guess that's a different type of "bravery".

Arachnophobia is a learned behaviour, many children grow up around everyone being afraid of spiders, their mom, their friends, people on TV...

If you grow up being 'taught' to be afraid of something from birth, it becomes really hard to unlearn it...those pathways are already laid down in your brain.

So it really doesn't matter how high you end up growing, because that fear is something you learned before you knew you were going to be built like a brick shoe house.

Archived